Jul 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi I'm looking at upgrading my GPU.
PC spec is
-hero viii motherboard
-ryzen 5 3600x CPU
-64gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
-GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 6GB GPU
I mainly play warzone. Just not sure which one I'm best in getting to get the full potential of my system.

Jul 10, 2020
Visit site
What monitor do you use? (exact model)

What settings do you play on?

What is currently unsatisfactory about performance?

And out of interest, why an R5 CPU, a Hero motherboard, and 64gb RAM?

I built it about a year ago and didnt fully research everything enough.
To start with it had 16gb 2600 and MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI, which I found out a few months ago was the cause of the PC to run at high temps and would crash even with a CPU water cooler

The monitor is -MSI Optix MAG241C Full HD 23.6" Curved LED Gaming Monitor
Enabled 144hz
The settings I play on are on the low side and if I increase them it can take a few seconds to render when snipering.
The R5 is a good gaming CPU.
-650W Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB, 80PLUS Gold, Full Modular PSU

Last edited:
What kind of monitor do you have? Maybe hold out until the new 30xx series cards drop? They are within a 2 month release window and it seems like you have a set up that can last until they drop and see how it affects the price of other gpus that you might think of picking up, ie the 20xx series cards.

Jul 10, 2020
Visit site
What kind of monitor do you have? Maybe hold out until the new 30xx series cards drop? They are within a 2 month release window and it seems like you have a set up that can last until they drop and see how it affects the price of other gpus that you might think of picking up, ie the 20xx series cards.
My monitor is MSI Optix MAG241C Full HD 23.6" Curved LED Gaming Monitor and thanks for the advise in waiting till the 30xx drop. Still be good to know which ones would be a good choice to get for my setup. So I know what I'm looking 👍

Don't buy an RTX 2070.

It's been more or less replaced by the RTX 2060 Super, offering basically the same performance for a lower price. Or the RTX 2070 Super which is a bit more expensive but substantially more powerful. Local pricing will vary but in most cases I've seen there's 0 reason to buy an RTX 2070 these days.

The new GPUs are expected in September some time I think.

Frankly anything over an RTX 2060 Super is massive overkill for a 1080p monitor.

If you buy something like an RTX 2070 Super - or equivalent from the new range - then to get the most out of your system you'll want to upgrade the monitor to 1440p immediately.

Not usually worth buying a really powerful graphics card and then upgrading the monitor ages later, because new GPUs come out all the time. Which means by the time you have a monitor that 'unlocks' the performance of your powerful GPU, your GPU is already superseded by newer, more powerful GPUs.

Also, buying a last gen GPU when a new generation is out is often a bad idea. First because the price drops often aren't really enough to make the bang for buck all that attractive. Second because the newer gen will have games optimised for its different architecture, new or improved hardware technologies (it's expected 3000 series will have beefier RTX hardware) and also driver support / optimisation for further into the future.,

Jul 10, 2020
Visit site
Don't buy an RTX 2070.

It's been more or less replaced by the RTX 2060 Super, offering basically the same performance for a lower price. Or the RTX 2070 Super which is a bit more expensive but substantially more powerful. Local pricing will vary but in most cases I've seen there's 0 reason to buy an RTX 2070 these days.

Frankly anything over an RTX 2060 Super is massive overkill for a 1080p monitor.

If you buy something like an RTX 2070 Super - or equivalent from the new range - then to get the most out of your system you'll want to upgrade the monitor to 1440p immediately.

Not usually worth buying a really powerful graphics card and then upgrading the monitor ages later, because new GPUs come out all the time. Which means by the time you have a monitor that 'unlocks' the performance of your powerful GPU, your GPU is already superseded by newer, more powerful GPUs.

Also, buying a last gen GPU when a new generation is out is often a bad idea. First because the price drops often aren't really enough to make the bang for buck all that attractive. Second because the newer gen will have games optimised for its different architecture, new or improved hardware technologies (it's expected 3000 series will have beefier RTX hardware) and also driver support / optimisation for further into the future.,
thanks ill keep that in mind all great information. as i didnt think about my monitor

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Don't buy an RTX 2070.

The only reason why you would get a 2070 is when you see the rare discount to ~$400. The 2070 is slightly faster than the 2060S, and in that case if you don;t have your heart set on a specific 2060S then you would go for the 2070.

Yep. Honestly even a RTX 2060S is overkill for 1080p, unless you want to play @ >than High and you really want 144hz.

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Thanks I'll wait for the 3000 to come out and see what the price of them are and the price drop of the 2070. Which I believe the 3000 will be out bu the end of this month
Actually, I wouldn;t do that if I were you, unless you are fine waiting for quite a few months. Look at Turing. The highest-end cards launched waay before the midrange, which is what you are looking at. And all signs point to Nvidia doing the same here - they have stopped production of the high-end cards, which means that they will release the high-end waay before the midrange again. As I see it, you have a few options:
1. Wait until mid-range launches. Likely anywhere from 3-6 months.
2. Buy a good card now. I'd recommend a AMD RX 5700 XT. Almost as good as a 2070S, but waay cheaper.
3. Buy a good card now then sell it once mid-range launches and buy a new, faster card. Basically: sell your current card (+$120), buy a RX 5700 XT (-$380) and use it for the next 3-6 months, sell it (+$250) and buy a new card (-$320). That ends up costing ~$320-350 over 3-6 months. You get to use a good card until Ampere launches, and at the end of it you end up with a brand-spanking new next-gen Ampere card.
Don't just focus on Ampere, Big Navi is also promising.

Tbh this graphics card deserves a much better monitor e.g. 1440p 144hz.

It's also a very expensive version of the RX 5700 XT. There are a lot of options well under £400 (including decent ones), while that one is over £460, plus delivery.

if you were going to spend over £460 on a 5700 XT you might as well just buy a 2070 Super for £480.

But again, a real shame to waste a GPU like that on a 1080p monitor.

Jul 10, 2020
Visit site
Tbh this graphics card deserves a much better monitor e.g. 1440p 144hz.

It's also a very expensive version of the RX 5700 XT. There are a lot of options well under £400 (including decent ones), while that one is over £460, plus delivery.

if you were going to spend over £460 on a 5700 XT you might as well just buy a 2070 Super for £480.

But again, a real shame to waste a GPU like that on a 1080p monitor.
i was looking at 2070 and will be upgrading the monitor couple weeks after the gpu

Jul 10, 2020
Visit site
Which 2070 / Super are you looking at?

And what monitor are you looking at getting?
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...tracing-graphics-card-2560-core-1605mhz-gpu-1
or

monitor
or

i know one is the 5700 just didnt know if there was much of a differance between them

Those sorts of monitors would be good choices, if you like them.

The RTX 2070 Super you are looking at is almost £600. If you were going to spend £600 on a graphics card you could just about buy an RTX 2080 Super.

For each kind of graphics card e.g. RTX 2070 Super there are lots of models.

Some cost ~£480, some cost ~£600. There is almost no performance difference between them. Asus's Strix graphics cards tend to be really, really expensive for what they are - it's even known as the Asus Tax.

Jul 10, 2020
Visit site
Those sorts of monitors would be good choices, if you like them.

The RTX 2070 Super you are looking at is almost £600. If you were going to spend £600 on a graphics card you could just about buy an RTX 2080 Super.

For each kind of graphics card e.g. RTX 2070 Super there are lots of models.

Some cost ~£480, some cost ~£600. There is almost no performance difference between them. Asus's Strix graphics cards tend to be really, really expensive for what they are - it's even known as the Asus Tax.
true they are expensive what 2070 card would you recommend im looking at around the 500 mark

TRENDING THREADS