which GPU should I get

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
So I'm currently building my PC and I'm stuck on the GPU. My main focus is (#)FPS at 1080p I don't really care about 1440 or 4k because I going to be playing first person shooters most of the time but don't want to upgrade my GPU in a year or two, I want to future proof my build. I'm looking at 2080Ti's or 2080 Super.

Either would probably be a waste of money tbh.

You can't 'futureproof' by overspending on a GPU. What you usually end up with is a GPU that is a lot more powerful than you need and very expensive - and by the time games need that extra performance, newer, faster, cheaper GPUs with new technologies will be available.

The best way to futureproof is to buy what you need now, and save the money to upgrade in a few years.

What games are you intending to play?

What settings are you playing at? If you are trying to maximise your FPS for competitive advantage in FPS games, you are presumably playing on nearly all low settings anyway?

What monitor are you gaming on? make and model

What is the rest of your system?

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
Either would probably be a waste of money tbh.

You can't 'futureproof' by overspending on a GPU. What you usually end up with is a GPU that is a lot more powerful than you need and very expensive - and by the time games need that extra performance, newer, faster, cheaper GPUs with new technologies will be available.

The best way to futureproof is to buy what you need now, and save the money to upgrade in a few years.

What games are you intending to play?

What settings are you playing at? If you are trying to maximise your FPS for competitive advantage in FPS games, you are presumably playing on nearly all low settings anyway?

What monitor are you gaming on? make and model

What is the rest of your system?
Games I’m going to play: R6S, Apex, Valorant, CS, some Racing games like the new Formula 1 game, some survival games

Settings I want to play on high settings instead of Ultra

Monitor is a ASUS 180hz 1ms don’t remember the model

current build is a
i9- 10900k
32GB 3600Mhz Ram
1TB M.2 with 3TB SSD
ASUS ROG Hero motherboard

Well Z your system seems to already be future proofed lol, you dont even need a 20xx series to achieve what you want in the games you are playing. Those games wont need a gpu upgrade from a 10 series ever if your staying at 1080p as well.

Reactions: ZRami
Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
Well Z your system seems to already be future proofed lol, you dont even need a 20xx series to achieve what you want in the games you are playing. Those games wont need a gpu upgrade from a 10 series ever if your staying at 1080p as well.
Like I'm going to upgrade to a 240hz monitor probably in a month or two so I'm trying to get 200+ frames on high settings at 1080

It's a very niche thing you're going for. A niche subset of a niche subset.

You're playing on high, which reduces your framerate versus playing on 'competitive settings'. But you're still trying to squeeze as much framerate out as possible. Tbh it sounds a bit like mixing the worst of both worlds, where you play on neither low or very high settings, and limit yourself to 1080p.

That might be what you enjoy the most - maybe you tried 1440p and didn't like it somehow - but it's so incredibly uncommon to go with this kind of setup that it's hard to make any sensible suggestions for it.

Valorant will pull hundeds of FPS with a much weaker GPU than a 2080 ti.
Apex Legends will not give a consistent 240 or even 180 FPS

Moreover, upgrading from 180hz to 240hz... why.

Some of the games you're playing won't get that high in framerate. Those that do you may not notice the difference. And if you did, and you wanted the competitive edge that brings, you should probably be playing on lower setting anyway in the others games for the higher framerate.

Tbh you'll probably just buy a 2080 ti because going by the rest of your spec you seem to buy expensive things because they're expensive rather than meaningfully beneficial. And it's your money.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Don't get a 20xx series at all then. That's literally throwing money in the bin.

Either way, I'm feeling your PC right now is overpowered for the games you want to play / resolution, however I don't know if you're doing any programming or graphics work. Like @Oussebon said, the specs you have now, compared with the monitor you have and the games you play make it very hard to give proper advice.

If your PC were to be balanced, you'd get a 2080S I guess, but that doesn't balance out the entire PC because your monitor is not fitting into that.

Also, as far as I read on other forums now, for a high framerate your CPU is more important than your GPU anyway. GPU is textures @1080p while as far as I see it now, the CPU is the part that needs to do the calculating to push the framerates up.

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS