Question Which game worlds blew your mind?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
First time I stepped out of the bunker in Fallout 4. The landscape ravaged by nuclear bombs over two centuries ago and not much human activity since then was starkly evident.

And of course, almost every scene in Red Dead Redemption 2. As a big fan of old westerns, it was the closest thing to the uncanny valley in video games for me.

First time I stepped out of the bunker in Fallout 4. The landscape ravaged by nuclear bombs over two centuries ago and not much human activity since then was starkly evident.

And of course, almost every scene in Red Dead Redemption 2. As a big fan of old westerns, it was the closest thing to the uncanny valley in video games for me.
I just picked FO4 back up the other day and started a new game. I had only played it once before and didn't really get very far.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I just picked FO4 back up the other day and started a new game. I had only played it once before and didn't really get very far.
I've been playing it on and off since 2015 lol. Lost an install and started it again some years ago. Lost another save and started again after that. I still play it occasionally but yea, don't think I'll ever finish it unless other games stopped getting released.

Come to think of it, I've never finished an open world game till date except RDR2.

I've been playing it on and off since 2015 lol. Lost an install and started it again some years ago. Lost another save and started again after that. I still play it occasionally but yea, don't think I'll ever finish it unless other games stopped getting released.

Come to think of it, I've never finished an open world game till date except RDR2.
The only open world games I've finished were Skyrim and Breath of the Wild. Oh, I guess Lego City: Undercover is open world, and I finished and loved that game. Honestly, I don't necessarily want all of my games to be open world. A couple of my favorite games were Tomb Raider 2013 and Thief 2014, and they were both linear.

Reactions: SBan83 and mainer
Haha, I'm 40!
When I said I grew up on Tombraider, I meant very late teens really. When I was little, we had a Commodore 64, then I had Sega Megadrive, then PlayStation 1 and 2, and then through the various Xbox's.
Commodore 64 was my favorite of all time. I learned to program BASIC and Assembly Language on it, and I knew that thing inside out. I programmed and freelance marketed my own game in 1990, called Quest for Truth. It was kind of like an adventure/RPG game. Unfortunately, by the time I got done with it, the C64 was at the end of its life. Those were good days.

As for Tomb Raider, I saw my uncle play it on his Sega Saturn (I think), and I ended up getting it for my PC. That was back when hardware-accelerated 3D cards were first coming out. I think I had an S3 Virge card, and you could get a patch for it to smooth Tomb Raider out. It was awesome. I'm a few years older than you are, so I was a young adult in my 20s at that time.

Haha, I'm 40!
When I said I grew up on Tombraider, I meant very late teens really. When I was little, we had a Commodore 64, then I had Sega Megadrive, then PlayStation 1 and 2, and then through the various Xbox's.
I'd have guessed at 40, that 81 is a good clue. Puts you near the middle of our current demographic, no need to feel old around here, welcome :)

I grew up with the Sinclair Spectrums in the 80's, Atari ST in the very early 90's then PC and various consoles from then on. Last big console was a PS3, PC and Switch now.

Reactions: Pifanjr
On topic. We're talking about the original Tomb Raider, and that was one that fit this subject for me. The game, along with Mario 64, pioneered 3rd person with smart cameras that didn't just stay fixed behind you. But you're playing the game for a while and getting used to it, and then all of the sudden a T. Rex comes at you, and you're definitely not expecting to see something like that. That was an awesome experience.

That was back when hardware-accelerated 3D cards were first coming out. I think I had an S3 Virge card, and you could get a patch for it to smooth Tomb Raider out. It was awesome
We're talking about the original Tomb Raider, and that was one that fit this subject for me. But you're playing the game for a while and getting used to it, and then all of the sudden a T. Rex comes at you, and you're definitely not expecting to see something like that. That was an awesome experience.
I have very fond memories of the first Tomb Raider game, it was the very 1st game that I played using an add-in 3D card; a Voodoo or Voodoo 2 (can't remember exactly which now). I was thinking back then, how much difference is this thing actually going to make? But then I played TR, and I was just floored, not only by the smooth frame rate, but the visuals were so amazing at that point in my gaming life. And I'll never forget dodging the T.Rex.

Fallout 4 remains one of my favorite games of all time (along with Skyrim). Stepping out of that vault, after seeing your spouse murdered and Shawn kidnapped, and viewing all the devastation was an incredible feeling, made all the more dramatic because you saw a brief glimpse of the world as it was before the bombs fell during the tutorial.

I have very fond memories of the first Tomb Raider game, it was the very 1st game that I played using an add-in 3D card; a Voodoo or Voodoo 2 (can't remember exactly which now). I was thinking back then, how much difference is this thing actually going to make? But then I played TR, and I was just floored, not only by the smooth frame rate, but the visuals were so amazing at that point in my gaming life. And I'll never forget dodging the T.Rex.
Like I said, I used an S3 ViRGE for Tomb Raider. But later on, I did get a Voodoo Rush. The Rush was one of the first cards that did 2D and 3D in one card. The first game I played on that was Turok: The Dinosaur Hunter, which was packed in. That was another game that wowed me back in its day.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts