Which components can I safely switch?

Nov 17, 2020
Hello,

I need some help. I want to upgrade my PC but am not sure which components I can safely switch without causing any issues to my system and to be able to boot to my desktop as usual.

I only want to switch CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. Not GPU and not storage drive. Am I good to go? Or will RAM and motherboard replacement cause some issues?

Thanks.

Brian Boru

Our experts will need a lot more info. Please see here:

I only want to switch CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. Not GPU and not storage drive. Am I good to go? Or will RAM and motherboard replacement cause some issues?
You are essentially getting a new PC at that point. MB & CPU are the most important parts of a PC, you are likely to have to reinstall windows to get it to work on new PC so backup anything on C you don't want to lose.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 2, 2020
I have just replaced my i5-8500, Z370 board and 2666mhz ram over to a 12500, Z690 board and 3600mhz ram and had no issues. (i didnt reinstall windows for several years and hardware changes) i just had to reactivate windows 10

Nov 17, 2020
You are essentially getting a new PC at that point. MB & CPU are the most important parts of a PC, you are likely to have to reinstall windows to get it to work on new PC so backup anything on C you don't want to lose.
Thanks.

Back up, because, it's better to do a clean install and wipe drive?

Which backup method do you recommend? There are tons.

Nov 17, 2020
Our experts will need a lot more info. Please see here:

Ok thank you.

Nov 17, 2020
yeah, i forgot to mention i have Acronis backup on an external drive backing up weekly so can recover.
I have a company I pay $6 every month to backup my drive. Is that enough? After reinstalling Windows and booting into my "upgraded PC", what do I need to do to have my desktop items like they were before. How do I get to my backup?

Nov 17, 2020
3 results if you swap windows into a new PC
1. it works
2. it works but it has weird problems
3. It doesn't work at all

So op can try but I would backup anything on C before he does, just in case
Ok thanks. How do I get to my backup once I boot into my now upgraded PC?

Nov 17, 2020
I have just replaced my i5-8500, Z370 board and 2666mhz ram over to a 12500, Z690 board and 3600mhz ram and had no issues. (i didnt reinstall windows for several years and hardware changes) i just had to reactivate windows 10
1. Which backup method should I choose to do this motherboard swap? Does it matter? Are they all the same? I currently have a cloud company called Backblaze taking care of that, but should I use Acronis or a secondary physical hard-drive to backup my files using Windows' built-in file history method? I also heard about cloning. Is that also a backup or something entirely different. Watched some videos on it but still don't get it.

2. Where will I find my backup to restore it, once on my "new motherboard" PC? Will the backup put my desktop files exactly where they were in my previous system? Will Windows settings be as I left them, or will I have to do everything again? Office 365 also, all settings gone out the window?

Many thanks in advance.

Nov 17, 2020
well, tbh I meant just copy anything off C you don't want to lose. How you do it is up to you.
I thought you can not copy paste items from C: drive and expect them to work. Because they are not "normal" files that you can just copy and paste on another drive or system. Or so I was told.......

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts