Whats your input method of choice per game genre?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Genuinely curious how you screw up keyboard controls so badly. Short of setting them to somewhere unusual and not allowing rebinding I guess.

From what I can find from a quick Google search, they messed up while porting such that looking around with the mouse isn't smooth, but happens in increments instead. So it's like using a mouse with extremely low DPI settings. There have been mods that fix this however.

Interesting, takes me back to playing Doom on the arrow keys with no mouse and space bar for shooting. It took a while to get into wasd rather than arrows, it just became the standard bind and I just got used to it eventually, I think for me around Doom 3 time, not 100%. No right answer for everyone that's what the threads about.

I played a lot of games with my brother and my friends where we would have to use the same keyboard, so I got used to using WASD pretty early on, as I was always player 2.

From what I can find from a quick Google search, they messed up while porting such that looking around with the mouse isn't smooth, but happens in increments instead. So it's like using a mouse with extremely low DPI settings. There have been mods that fix this however.

I played a lot of games with my brother and my friends where we would have to use the same keyboard, so I got used to using WASD pretty early on, as I was always player 2.

I see, your Google Fu is superior to mine or at least more tenacious, that does sound terrible and a good reason to get a controller or mod it of course.

Of the PC games we played together as kids Doom 2 or Warcraft 2 mostly we'd take turns or play with an 'advisory committee'. Or on consoles a bit later, a lot of N64/Dreamcast 4 player and fighting over the controllers with the dodgy joystick. Can't think of a single old game where you share the keyboard, sounds fun.

I see, your Google Fu is superior to mine or at least more tenacious, that does sound terrible and a good reason to get a controller or mod it of course.

Of the PC games we played together as kids Doom 2 or Warcraft 2 mostly we'd take turns or play with an 'advisory committee'. Or on consoles a bit later, a lot of N64/Dreamcast 4 player and fighting over the controllers with the dodgy joystick. Can't think of a single old game where you share the keyboard, sounds fun.

I think most games that had split screen play you could do on the same keyboard. Rollcage, Worms Blast, Jazz Jackrabbit and I think FIFA 98 all supported local multiplayer on the same keyboard.

they messed up while porting such that looking around with the mouse isn't smooth, but happens in increments instead
That sounds very much like Far Cry 3, ported from console. The UI was/is atrocious, especially the mouse in menu screens, bouncing around with lag. Then some of the key binds were hardcoded, so you couldn't separate different actions to different keys.

While FC4 was only poor, and FC5 is good, the latter problem still exists—the number of times I've swapped a weapon out with the E key instead of looting a guy is way too many. PC is clearly the poor relation in UI dev priorities.

I think most games that had split screen play you could do on the same keyboard. Rollcage, Worms Blast, Jazz Jackrabbit and I think FIFA 98 all supported local multiplayer on the same keyboard.

Cool, haven't played any of those on PC, played OG Worms on keyboards with friends and fam but it was turn based.

PC is clearly the poor relation in UI dev priorities.

Related to this thread, maybe it's better to say that users of mouse and keyboard are the slightly poorer relations for Ubisoft?

I've had consoles since the mid nineties, and PC's from a couple of years before that. There was always a divide for me between what I want to play on a console and what on a PC because it just didn't feel right with the wrong input method. In the 2000's I still only played FPS and strategy games on my PC and didnt think about PC controllers much because there was a Playstation for all that.

FPS/3rd person shooter, adventure, and strategy games, has to be a mouse and keyboard no question, just feels awful and imprecise on a controller. Anything driving, flying (sticks/wheels included), 2d platform, 3rd person melee, top down arcade style view is a controller game, and feels weird and unnatural on m+k.

In games that mix it up depending on your weapon, like say Dying Light, or Skyrim I'll switch to either depending on mood, and maybe what build/weapons I'm using. Thankfully games these days will just switch as soon as you press anything which I guess makes it easier than it used to be.

So, is there a divide for you, and where is it, or maybe you are exclusively one or the other regardless of genre?

Driving or flying: controller. Everything else is mouse/keyboard--especially in 3rd person melee games, I'd like to add.

TRENDING THREADS