What's your go-to game when you're bored and can't decide what to play?

Jul 3, 2024
Visit site
when I'm totally stuck and can't pick a game, I always end up firing up Skyrim. There's just something about roaming around as the Dragonborn that never gets old. Whether it's exploring random caves, picking fights with giants, or just chilling in Whiterun, it always hits the spot. Plus, who doesn't love shouting dragons out of the sky? What about you all? What's your default game when you're bored?"when I'm totally stuck and can't pick a game, I always end up firing up Skyrim. There's just something about roaming around as the Dragonborn that never gets old. Whether it's exploring random caves, picking fights with giants, or just chilling in Whiterun, it always hits the spot. Plus, who doesn't love shouting dragons out of the sky? What about you all? What's your default game when you're bored?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 3, 2024
Visit site
I've been resorting to watching YouTube videos when I can't decide what to play lately. A couple of months ago I would play one or more games of Vermintide 2.

In the past I've also played Skyrim, Civilization or Conquest of Elysium when I didn't know what else to play.
Vermintide 2 i never heard about this game before can you explain me something about this.

When I'm bored, I dive into some silly stuff: THUG2, THAW, GTA, and getting back to earning platinum in you-know-what.
GTA is our saviour always good to go game

It's usually whatever I find interesting at the time, lately which is Atomic Heart. There's been a bit of controversy over this game but much of the accusations (which I won't go into), seem unverified. I meant I won't discuss the political ones, but I WILL address the development ones.

Many have been upset about the length of time it took for RT to be implemented, which the game was advertised with before release, and now that it's finally here, it's too unoptimized even for high end spec. They DO say it is in beta stage though. Others, including myself, have reported bugs, but they've either been fixed, or were false assumptions.

With me it was merely my having overlooked that two particular door locks, which I thought were bugged, required me to find a key. Once I did I was able to complete the game, and it ran pretty well I would say too. I also thought I'd not found 4 of the 12 testing grounds, but from what I've read there's only 8 total. I'm guessing we'll see the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th one in upcoming DLC.

I just finished the Annihilation Instinct DLC last night, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Some have mentioned a dislike for it, as it has you fetching several identical objects, but IMO it has enough variety in what you encounter battle wise along the way. It also has a couple tough boss fights that were also ridiculed for repetition, but I found there's also variety in how you tackle them.

It took a few tries to figure out both boss fights, but with the 2nd one, I was surprised to find a fairly powerful melee weapon you get later in the DLC just before that fight helps quite a bit. There's also a few rare items you acquire that help make that fight MUCH easier, and conserves ammo in the heavy weapon you're given early on, which also helps replenish the energy required to use the melee weapon.

I have also found if I lower res from 3840x2160 to 2560x1440, I can run the RT at Quality setting with acceptable performance. I'm not sure this would be the case for the main game though. I have yet to beat the Trapped in Limbo DLC, but am still making progress. Just need to get in one last jump or two on the final slide segment.

Last edited:
My normal state is "inbetween games" so really I only play a game if I am really bored and don't have anything else I should be doing. Its then I go looking for something new. I don't get bored often.
I don't have a go to game.
It used to be Journey but I question how alive that game world is now, and I didn't really enjoy it on PC compared to the other platforms I played it on.

I generally play games to death. I will play the one game until I am sick of it. there are only a number of games that I will go back to again occasionally ... like Torchlight 2. But it only survives as I play it with mods now... or at least, I do when I play it. Not long enough since last time I played it for a return yet.

I have things I should be doing now so I can't think about a game today.

I finally reinstalled Remnant II last night, now that I have a new PC build with much bigger NVMe space. I've had the new PC for a while, but I've been dealing with moving lately. It took MUCH longer than the apt landlords thought it would, as the previous tenant took about a month longer than expected to make other arrangements. Plus the time to prep the unit for me to view it, and that the move-in date had to be synced to the end of June. On top of that, just after being notified the apt was ready for viewing, I got my truck stolen for the 2nd time from the parking lot of the previous building I was living in, literally in broad daylight. This time, the police not only wouldn't come out to take a report, they also didn't call back within 24 hrs as promised. And this was after living out of boxes for 2 months waiting day to day to finally get some good news.

It's not like I was being negligent with my vehicle security either, as I had been using a pretty secure pedal lock for some time after getting it back the 1st time it got stolen. Also, another tenant parked next to me got hers stolen at the same time, despite being a newer model more resistant to door lock picking, and even people parking on the other side of the alley working at businesses there have had theirs stolen before in that alleyway.

The plus is, I have a much better vehicle now, which is much more modern and secure, and a wonderful wooded neighborhood to live in. I can literally hear birds chirping outside my window every morning and throughout the day, and it's very low crime here, and the tenants are very friendly. I ended up donating my truck to a charity that takes vehicles, auctions them, and gives the proceeds to veterans. So I also want to take this moment to apologize for some outbursts I made on the forum in past months at times when the stress was too much. I can't tell you how relaxing it's been to just be able to get sleep every night. No more noisy neighbors above me, as I'm also on the top floor, and have a view outside my living room window of a small lake that is right behind our building. I am also situated as close to it as I can be in this building, and I invited a friend out on the 4th to watch the fireworks display some of the wealthy folks that live on the north end of the lake put on! We went right down to the lake side, and everyone there, including a tenant in the new apt building I'd just met, was having a great time.

This neighborhood is also abundant with wildlife, everything from squirrels, to rabbits, to ducks, to large flocks of Canadian Geese. The ducks and geese love to cool off in the lake, and the geese often nibble on the grass of the large baseball/soccer playfields of the community center next to the lake. When I walk across the playfield on my way to the nearby branch of my bank, I say "High Canadians", as I walk right amongst the geese, even when they have their little ones with them they are not scared off. I'm also told there are racoons around, though I've not seen any yet. And since the people in the area know not to feed the wildlife, there is no problem with excessive breeding, burrowing, or rats.

Anyways, back on topic, rather than dig up my old Remnant II save, which was on Survivor, the lowest difficulty mode, I opted to start fresh on Veteran. There's also Nightmare and Apocalypse, but as far as I can tell, Apocalypse is only available after you beat Nightmare. While Veteran definitely feels harder, it's also been doable with the same Handler class (Archetype) I was using before, the one that gives you a dog to command. This game always throws something new at you realm and enemy wise every time you play it. You'd have to play it many times through to even be familiar with all the realms and enemies, but even then you don't know which are coming next.

New for me from my past partial playthrough was the Realm N'Erud. In this realm I worked my way to the first dungeon in the Infested Facilities part of it called The Hatchery. This dungeon has a boss called the Primogenitor, which is actually a small, blue crawly parasite that clings to one of the 2 or 3 giant slug looking creatures (Hatchers) that float in the air circling around the battle area. The Hatchers at fairly frequent intervals shoot a toxic "Curse" substance at you in volleys of 3, so you really need to just focus on the boss and take it out quickly, running, dodging, and reloading as you go, as well as shrugging off regular parasites the Hatchers send at you periodically.

There are also pathways that lead to the Towers of N'Erud, which led me to an outdoor place called Spectrum Nexus, which also had indoor places that lead to yet another dungeon. Most enemies here are either robots, or creatures that look like larger versions of the parasites I mentioned earlier. There were also some creatures that were like zombies, and a large rolling ball with a rock-like crust. One of THE most formidable enemies here was the E.D. Alpha, a robot with powerful laser, a shield that regens, and a very vicious melee attack when close.

The dungeon boss is The Custodian's Eye, which is a large hovering robot with a central eye that can do very powerful quick laser sweeps periodically, in between it's big purple plasma looking blast, which it traces a path on the floor to chase you with, it's trail of plasma on the ground exploding as it disappears. It also sends out 3 (on Veteran, more on harder modes) small Sentinel orbs that can fire laser and other shots at you. The floor in this battle area has pillars of various heights in various spots that will raise and lower as the battle takes place, requiring you to keep an eye on the boss AND the terrain.

The Custodian's Eye was a bit buggy for me, on one attempt the center part of the floor did not spawn, and since you have to run out on it for the battle to begin, I had to fall to my death and hope the floor was there the next try, which it was. However when I finally got the hang of this fight, about the 3rd try, as I had the boss down to about 1/3 of it's health left, it suddenly stopped attacking or sending out the small sentinels. I also ran out of ammo because the only ammo that would spawn dropped from the small sentinels you kill, so I thought I was stuck. Then I realized I had 1 ammo box left, and once I used it, I killed it. I was left feeling disappointed though.

Here's a player doing it in coop with a Handler class person accompanying him who had the same bug with The Custodian's Eye.

Last edited:
No surprises, its Doom 2 or more precisely doom 2 wads.

but more recently, i've been going through age of empires 2 definitive edition. The base game alone is more bang for my buck with (over?) 20 campaigns i've found myself dipping my toes playing through sp.

Sometimes tempted by DE, but I already have AOK 'remastered' or whatever with some new civs in India and Africa. Not sure that a third version of the game warrants my buying, unless it's during a sale..

Sometimes tempted by DE, but I already have AOK 'remastered' or whatever with some new civs in India and Africa. Not sure that a third version of the game warrants my buying, unless it's during a sale..

yeah its a little tricker to decide when you have the HD remaster. the DE does bundle all the content so all the expansion packs and runs in a much more optimized engine. Content wise the only thing new is the Art of war challenges. But if you're after even more campaign dlc content, its only for DE sadly.

i always felt that those who got the HD edition got shafted tbh. but on the flip side, the DE is usually pretty cheap on sales, but you have to be really into AOE2 to buy it again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts