What's the outfit or gear you've spent the most time grinding for in a game?

Lauren Morton

Staff member

Hey PC gamers, welcome back to the Chat Log! This week we brought on first time guest Kara Phillips to talk about our in-game fashion choices. We all know that looking great in new gear is the real endgame to even some of the most hardcore RPGs from Dark Souls to Diablo. Nobody want to get caught looking drab in a Souls game. All three of us have current games of choice to hunt for fashion in: Red Dead Online, Sky: Children of the Light, and Final Fantasy 14. But I want to know your greatest sins of all time:

Which outfit did you spend the most time grinding for in a game? (and share screenshots if you've got em!)​

Kara told us she spent a lot of time getting the right look in Monster Hunter Rise and as we all know by now Mollie is a freak for FF14. Most recently I was logging in to Sky every single day to unlock this rainbow cape during the Days of Color event but what sticks in my mind most from my past is the many many Citadel of Flame dungeons I used to run in Guild Wars 2 so I could make my necromancer look like she stepped out of a forge. Alas, I can't locate a screenshot of that though.

Does watching Twitch waiting for drops count?

I think I spent like 2 days watching (having on) Hogwarts Legacy streams to get Merlin's cloak. I probably have grinded (ground?) for WoW armour but I haven't played in many years and my memory has faded. I have also bought some nice cosmetics in Halo and Hearthstone.

View: https://imgur.com/a/XeRmnvp

Zloth

Community Contributor
Most grinding... hmmm, that's hard. My big MMO was City of Heroes, which almost never made you do anything to get outfit parts. They wanted you to have as much as possible right away. I haven't done many MMOs since and the ones before were... ummm... kinda ugly.

Cyberpunk wasn't really grinding, either. The stuff is just lying around - except for modded stuff I put in. I did have fun with it, though. Dark, skin-tight for a mission where I'm going to use stealth, red netrunner suit for hacker work, red Tron-mod outfit for raytracing shots, fancy dress to hobnob with the corpo's, casual, and so on. Always with sunglasses, preferably mirror shades, once the game finally gave me some.

Wait, did somebody ask for a big guy in a bikini??
full

Not grinding per se as this was for a single-player game and not any form of MMO, but in Mortal Kombat 9 (2011), there was a challenge tower which had 300 different challenges of increasing difficulty. At the time I was doing the tower, I had no idea what the reward would be but I was pretty hyped to see what could be worth that much effort... then I unlocked it and got the accompanying achievement 'Best... Alternate... Ever!'. What became commonly known in my friend group as 'nudie mileena':
iu

And you know what, I'd do it all over again. I think back and wonder if this is why Mileena became my main in MK going forward... 😂

While playing Age of Conan, I only needed one part of a set to complete it and spent what felt like months trying to get a group into the one place it had a chance of dropping. I don't think I ever ended up getting that part but well, I had a few other sets completed by then and was getting bored of playing game... once you have everything you want in a game, its really hard to keep going. Making alts can only do so much.0

Oddly I don't have any screenshots from that game?

The same thing happened in wow too. Ran same places so many times with the group that I ended up with everything I could get in there. Still went to help others.

The one that took the longest (probably a couple of weeks of grinding) to get was the Frozen Shadoweave Set for my Warlock back in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion for WoW. I don't remember exactly everything you needed to make it, but I do remember having to compete against bots/players for something called mote of water that you could turn into primal water which you needed for crafting the set. The Frozen Shadoweave I needed to craft because I was participating in an upcoming 25-man raid and we had to have the best in slot gear for the raid.
IhFzYXA.png

The next item was the Sea Turtle also back WOLTK WoW. The drop chance was 0,2% and you could only get it from fishing in different pools in one area of WOLTK. I was very lucky though because I got it after a couple of days of fishing, which was the most luck I ever had in that game.
XrkGqoB.png

Honorable mention of the Mad King Clock Tower event in GW2. When it first started oh so many years ago I was incredibly bad at it and probably spent at least 5-6 hours getting up on the damn top for a chest that contained a 20-slot bag and exotic equipment for my main character. One of the big problems with the event was that you had a race called Charr that was so big and chunky that you couldn't bloody see where you were jumping. At least that was partly my excuse for taking so long😅 On the left at the beginning of the video, you can see the size of the stupid Charr race (the one with the tail) The jumping starts at 00:49.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0pX7tIigQ

Last edited:

Lauren Morton

Staff member
Honorable mention of the Mad King Clock Tower event in GW2. When it first started oh so many years ago I was incredibly bad at it and probably spent at least 5-6 hours getting up on the damn top for a chest that contained a 20-slot bag and exotic equipment for my main character. One of the big problems with the event was that you had a race called Charr that was so big and chunky that you couldn't bloody see where you were jumping. At least that was partly my excuse for taking so long😅

The original clocktower was WILD. Even after they made other players invisible during it I still took a few more years to complete it. Never managed the feat until I learned to move entirely with my mouse and not use WASD. Well done managing it in the early years 😆

TRENDING THREADS