What's the last game you abandoned?

If I take abandoned as meaning that I had some fun but fell off, rather than started and didnt get into it at all, then its Baba Is You. Got stuck one day, intended to come back with fresh eyes and never did.

Before that Control, I beat the main story for the second time and got into the DLC but fell off. It just seemed like some more of the same game and I'd had enough again by that point. I heard the Alan Wake themed DLC is a bit different, hopefully get back there some time.

The last game I abandoned is my last Rimworld game. I only started it because I got a rare opportunity to play a game while my kid was awake, but that meant I couldn't play anything scary. I might go back to it at some point, but that is unlikely. Then again, I haven't actually won a game of Rimworld yet. Either all my colonists die or I get bored.

The game before Rimworld was PokéRogue, though I did beat Classic mode. I gave up halfway through a Flying-only challenge.

The game before PokéRogue was Pokémon Infinite Fusion, though I guess it's a mod of a game I have beaten before.

Before that it was Slay the Spire, though I did at least complete a run with each character 2-3 times.

Before that it was The Outer Worlds, which I did abandon mid-game and which I will probably never play again.

Not the most recent because that's arbitrary, but the recent one that hurts the most and for which I have the greatest pangs of regret is Crookz - The Big Heist.

Crookz - The Big Heist is a fantastic turn-based tactics stealth game. It's SO clever. The plot and vibe are groovy. The game itself is well-designed. And the challenges, oh man, they are deliciously fiendish.

But that's the problem. They're SO fiendish that, by the end, playing a single level of it is utterly exhausting. The intricacy of figuring out the route around the level so as to do everything you need to do leaves me utterly spent at the end of it.

So I stopped, just to take a pause. I'm really close to the end! I only have a few missions left! But I was too tired to carry on. That was December last year. Of course, since I'm posting in the thread, I never went back. It's still installed. I still aspire to complete it. And yet…

Mine is Riptide GP: Renegade. I was hoping for a Wave Racer experience. The racing is fine, but, as it turns out, the "wave" part of "wave racer" is what made it so good. Without having to deal with waves, there just isn't much to it.
Sounds like false advertising, although Wave Race 64 did have one still lake stage... rest weren't

Given the list of games I have finished is way shorter than the ones I just stop playing, I don't know where to begin.

Plenty of games I never went back to. For many reasons.
Just looking at Steam:
Tropico 5 - I really should try it again. I don't remember why I haven't.
Planet Coaster - never really got started.
Dorfromantik - It drives you mad trying to find perfect placements.
Torchlight 3 - It was an insult. I couldn't be bothered trying to play it once I got this GPU.

Plenty of PS3/4 games I never finished. Almost all of them. As I said, games I actually finish is a shorter list.
The ones I tend to return to have no real ends... so in some ways you could say I never finished them... which is why I keep going back maybe?

Last night—Stellaris.

Have had it for a long time, finally got around to installing—bit annoyed to discover a separate launcher from Paradox, but okay…

More concerning was Paradox—I'd forgotten they were the devs, and have bounced of 3 of their games in the past. Grand Strategy is just too 'grand' for me. So it proved with Stellaris—I only gave it an hour, but that was enough to know I wasn't interested.

Don't take this as a review or anything—Stellaris is highly regarded like most Paradox games, it's just not my genre.

More concerning was Paradox—I'd forgotten they were the devs, and have bounced of 3 of their games in the past.

Did you ever try the “Start as a Count in Southern Ireland” strategy in Crusader Kings II? It really is the best way to learn the game. And CK is also arguably the most accessible of the Paradox games because it's so much about story-telling rather than crunchy military-economic min-maxxing.

Have had it for a long time, finally got around to installing—bit annoyed to discover a separate launcher from Paradox, but okay…
I have Stellaris on Steam, no launcher from memory but its been a while... didn't mention it as well, not sure its installed right now. Some games appeal to me until I try to play them. Same with watching people play.

Preserve probably be next game I abandon. It won't take much, it doesn't really have my attention now. Seems its in early access, I thought it was released. Maybe I look again once its actually out.

Age of Wonders is fun to watch. not all their games are deep. Just most of them.

I watch people play Paradox games but the learning curve seems very steep with them. Really, many are the same themes... EU4, Victoria 3, Hearts of Iron... almost all have the same maps (what you get for making games based on history) and its just the details on top that vary. Not sure about Crusader Kings. expect the map is more specific in it.

its the opposite possibly massive category if people listed every game they play and don't play again. Might be a good way to remind them of games they might look at again... like Tropico 5 for me. Not sure why I stopped, I liked that series before (Maybe I look at it tomorrow, can't right now as have things to do tomorrow morning... playing all night not on list. Only had 4 hours sleep since 2pm yesterday so sleep is higher on list :)

Not sure I have played it since updating PC last year.

I'm not sure I've abandoned or am just taking an extended break from the following:

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Been playing this one before bedtime on my DSi and I was staring at this one puzzle last night thinking, "I just don't care." and didn't feel like expending any brain power on it, so I put it down and picked-up a new book instead.

Lies of P
I'm on the last boss and have only given him maybe 6-8 tries. I can fairly reliably get him down to half health in his second phase, but I'm at the point now where I've spent some resources that I need to go recover and I just can't be bothered. The family had/has been watching me play, but even my wife doesn't really care about seeing the ending of the game, given the story is...whatever.

Still a great game and some time I think I might go back and beat that final boss. I'm well aware I can do it, I just haven't felt any motivation to keep hammering away at it for an extended period of time.

May 26, 2023
Visit site
Forza 5. Imo: very poor physics, adversarial dev./admin, and before they had it sorted--started nagging about upgrading to Forza 8? On the Sony site, while my rig appears rock solid, the game routinely crashes to desktop. Not worth the storage. Cars are gorgeous, but the racing is disappointing.

Colony Ship: Post Earth RPG.
Kinda picked it up on a whim after seeing the good reviews, then realised it would probably take up a lot of time. Plus I got absolutely beat in my first non-tutorial fight.

Before that it was Anno 1800.
Feels like a good game and I sunk over 10 hours in. And then I started a "scenario" map as prompted by the tutorial / missions, and couldn't work out how to get out of it and back to the "regular" game.

Animal Well.

Great game with a fantastic art style and soundtrack/ambiance, but for some reason I just stopped playing one day and haven’t felt a strong urge to go back. In a way I bought it as a way to support my favorite YouTubers (videogamedunkey) new games publishing company, which I don’t regret at all, and I recognize the game’s reputation as being quite amazing, but I haven’t gone back in 3 months since I dropped it. I will eventually one of these days, but for now I don’t really want to play anymore. Really could not tell you why because there wasn’t a single thing that put me off the game, I just kinda stopped playing it.

@COLGeek I tried D4 for free on Game Pass. I leveled up a sorcerer and barbarian to 100, then I gave away around 60 million from each character to a random guy before deleting both characters. I wanted to like the game, but the way you had to optimize your gear was just incredibly dumb compared to Diablo 3. In Diablo 3 you at least had the luxury to quickly level up, get a good set of gear, and then grind for the ancient and primal gear to further enhance your character. The further forging in D3 was 1000 times better than the shait you have in D4. Getting Crit Chance/Crit Dmg on your gear was not hard to get, compared to in D4 where you have to piss on the RNG lord to bless you with it.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS