What soundtrack fit into a game perfectly?

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've seen 2 soundtrack topics already here, 1 about recommendations and one about custom soundtracks, but none about which soundtrack did fit into a game perfectly.

For me, of course the Witcher 3 soundtrack was absolutely excellent. But also in a very old game, I found the soundtrack of Total War: Rome II really really good and totally fit into the game.

Last edited:
Two games that come to mind are Age of Empires and Minecraft.

Oh, also the Monkey Island games. I still look up the OST on YouTube sometimes.

Skyrim has a great soundtrack as well.

There's probably tons more I could think of, but these were the first to come to mind.

Reactions: Frindis
Divinity: Original Sin 2. I know I'm something of a broken record when it comes to talking about that game, but the music is one of my favorite things about it. The track Battle for Divinity is incorporated into parts of the game so well (end of act 1, for example, it's a great intro to that fight). The fact some of the songs were recorded with various instruments to match the instrument you select in character creation is also excellent. The music does such an excellent job of setting the stage for whatever is happening or about to happen. It's one of the only video game soundtracks I've ever listened to outside of the game.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Bard's Tale 4 was downright ridiculous when it came to music. They were getting squeezed in all over the place! There are beautiful songs that only show up in tiny areas. You'll wander by a hut and a great song will be playing when you pass near it but you'll only hear it for a few seconds. If you don't stop and listen (or come back and listen), you'll miss it completely.

Reactions: Pifanjr
May 1, 2020
Visit site
Silent Hill’s, at least the first four games’s soundtracks. Not only they’re works of art on their own (I love Akira Yamaoka’s music) but, with their peculiar mix of dark electronica and trip-hop, they help enhance the games’ unsettling atmosphere quite a lot.

Zoid

Community Contributor
a high fantasy score would have fit The Witcher "somewhat well", but probably not nearly as well as the score they went for instead.
Definitely. The score for The Witcher 3 feels like it "fits" the game so well because its creators were so conscious of being authentic to the story's roots in Polish folklore. Percival, a Polish folk band, played a lot of traditional instruments on the soundtrack like gusli and hurdy-gurdy, which really helps give the game world a unique texture.

I think another game that ended up having a unique sonic identity that fit the game perfectly is the original Mass Effect. Sam Hulick and Jack Wall created a great sound blending orchestral scoring with heavy 80s synths in a way that really stood out from other sci-fi games at the time.

Reactions: Pifanjr
All Doom Games have a great soundtrack, though 2016 has a better one than eternal.

Killing Floor has a great metal score as well that gels well with its gameplay.

And then.. Destiny, Destiny has an amazing soundtrack and they put out the best soundtrack in all the Halos imo.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
My list of favorite game soundtracks:
  • Into the Breach
  • Hotline Miami 1 & 2
  • Ruiner
  • Surviving Mars (Quantum Sonics station)
  • Cities: Skylines (Sythetic Dawn station)
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Offworld Trading Company
  • Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
  • DOOM 2016
  • Tropico 6
Other games have good tracks but these are the ones I actually listen to outside of playing - and in the game they're perfect.