Question What RPG did you FINALLY find time to play?

Lauren Morton

Staff member
As a big RPG fan I always feel so cursed. My free time is so limited and every RPG constantly touts its 9000+ hours of campaign and sidequests. My list of RPGs to play (both new and old) is constantly growing and the best feeling is finally getting to knock one off the list.

What RPG did you FINALLY make time to play recently?

For me I think it will be Tyranny or Kingdom Come Deliverance. I got about halfway through Tyranny originally and have always regretted not finishing it. I played hard mode as an unarmed character and if I go back I think I'll just take it a bit easy so I can actually finish the dang thing in a reasonable number of hours. I've still never tried KCD but I feel bad missing out on such a big 3D RPG!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Grim Dawn and its expansions. I finally had the time to commit to it and it has been an awesome experience. The art, story, music, items, dungeons, monsters, etc... everything about Grim Dawn is just really fun to dig into. When I first kicked off the campaign, I thought no way will I ever go back and do the harder difficulties... only to find myself completing Forgotten Gods on Ultimate this week.

If the very sad, very dark atmosphere of Diablo 4 was exciting to you during Blizzcon, you should definitely check out Grim Dawn.

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Divinity OS 2!

Absolutely loved the first one and the second was high on the list for my friends to do a 4 player run through. Unfortunately, awesome as the game is that just became the definition of too much. We can barely make time weekly for DnD, let alone every night for such a massive game.

I ended up playing through both games with my partner and we had an absolute blast - literally, they could not stop setting my guys on fire next to barrels. Great set pieces and one of the best co-op experiences I've ever had.

I'm traveling over Christmas, but I really want to cross Tyranny off. I only made it a short way in first time round and was all about the themes.

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I'm not quite sure if Outer Worlds is totally classified as an RPG, but I finally got the time to dive into it a few weeks ago! I'm not usually keen on its style of RPG (I wasn't a big Fallout: New Vegas fan), but I've really enjoyed just messing around with its mechanics, like the holographic shroud. Its writing is also very amusing, my first character was kneecapped on her intelligence stat so I could use the dumb options.

Reactions: Lauren Morton

Lauren Morton

Staff member
I'm not quite sure if Outer Worlds is totally classified as an RPG, but I finally got the time to dive into it a few weeks ago! I'm not usually keen on its style of RPG (I wasn't a big Fallout: New Vegas fan), but I've really enjoyed just messing around with its mechanics, like the holographic shroud. Its writing is also very amusing, my first character was kneecapped on her intelligence stat so I could use the dumb options.

I still haven't found time for Outer Worlds myself! The dumb dialogue options are always great. My second favorite. Is there by chance a Black Widow equivalent? Asking for a me.

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
I finally found time to replay all of Dragon Age. Sort of. I'm still going through the first one.

With the way it's set up, they maintain a website connected to your account that lets you set the world state for each future game. As such, I needed to replay the games since I completely forgot what happens and want to make sure I set up my world state properly!

It's a genius idea, though. I'm really excited for Dragon Age 4.

Reactions: Mathiasm27

Lauren Morton

Staff member
I finally found time to replay all of Dragon Age. Sort of. I'm still going through the first one.

With the way it's set up, they maintain a website connected to your account that lets you set the world state for each future game. As such, I needed to replay the games since I completely forgot what happens and want to make sure I set up my world state properly!

It's a genius idea, though. I'm really excited for Dragon Age 4.

Given your display name, I'm going to need a full report on how many times you've played BioWare's other big series :p

For real though the the DA Keep is a really neat tool! I remember when they debuted it shortly before Inquisition I went through to custom make mine and I found some things in there I'd have never known were possible because I'm not a monster. That's when I found out Alistair can end the game alone and sad. I did make a custom world state just titled "Everything Is Awful" though.

1576776514072.png

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
Given your display name, I'm going to need a full report on how many times you've played BioWare's other big series :p

For real though the the DA Keep is a really neat tool! I remember when they debuted it shortly before Inquisition I went through to custom make mine and I found some things in there I'd have never known were possible because I'm not a monster. That's when I found out Alistair can end the game alone and sad. I did make a custom world state just titled "Everything Is Awful" though.

View attachment 72
Ha! Ironically, I didn't play Mass Effect nearly as much as I've played Dragon Age series. To put it into perspective, on Origin alone (I've played it on console and Steam) I have logged over 500 hours. Most of those are in Inquisition. Say what you want, I loved the game so much! It's too immersive for its own good, but I've always felt Bioware was unique in RPG in a good way that they add so much drama and emotion into the interpersonal relationships and growth. It really keeps me coming back.

If you did end up romancing anyone in DAO, DA2, or DAI, who was it? :#

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
Own thread Idea: what RPG characters have you dated? :ROFLMAO:

*edit* I know this doesn't count, but I spent most of my childhood in a very unhealthy relationship with Lara Crofts butler in the tutorial locking him into things... still feel bad about that...

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
I finally got around to playing Thronebreaker. Solid RPG with a good story and solid card-playing. Unfortunately, the itch to play some Formula 1 and Civ 6 recently has kinda kicked it to the curb!

Reactions: LCarlson

Lauren Morton

Staff member
I'm giving my super grognardy friends palpitations by streaming on Discord and not using optimal builds.

I love doing this. I initially started Tyranny as an unarmed punching character. It might be a viable build but I certainly did a bad job putting it together and I think everyone felt very face-palmy about my efforts.

I finally got around to playing Thronebreaker. Solid RPG with a good story and solid card-playing. Unfortunately, the itch to play some Formula 1 and Civ 6 recently has kinda kicked it to the curb!

Oh no, the Civ itch is dangerous. And equally, if not more, of a time sink than any RPG. Sorry, Thronebreaker!

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I'm not sure if it's counted an RPG or not, but I hope I am able to free time to play Red Dead Redemption 2 over the next few weeks. Currently Dota and Cities: Skylines take up most of the time.

Edit: Last few months I actually played Skyrim (got up to lvl 50) rather than just dressing up barbies.

Last edited:

Lauren Morton

Staff member
I'm not sure if it's counted an RPG or not, but I hope I am able to free time to play Red Dead Redemption 2 over the next few weeks. Currently Dota and Cities: Skylines take up most of the time.

Edit: Last few months I actually played Skyrim (got up to lvl 50) rather than just dressing up barbies.

I'll allow RDR2. Partly because it does have lite RPG bits but mostly because I've been playing a LOT of Red Dead Online myself. I've hardly even touched the singleplayer, though I've only heard good things about it.

As for Skyrim, might I direct you to my other thread where you should absolutely show off all the dressing up you've done with your Dragonborn.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Seeing as you're allowing RDR 2..... RDR2!

It is so, so good! It has a genuinely great story, and the characters are really well written. I enjoyed playing as Arthur because I actually liked him, which isn't something that I can say for so many games. I love the setting, which is amazingly detailed and the attention paid to every aspect is really quite astounding.

I could expand on why each of these aspects, and many others in the game are great, but it would be its own thread.

So if we're allowing RDR2, then Assassin's Creed Odyssey has to be allowed too. I'm no fan of AssCreed in general, but I really enjoyed Odyssey for mostly the same reasons as RDR2.

More broadly, on the matter of RPGs in the more traditional vein - Tyrrany, Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera, Wasteland, etcetera - I've decided that I'm not buying any more of them, and especially if they have non-pausable combat. I just get fed up with the game loop which is pretty much "read lots of text and proceed to the next tedious combat encounter to recover item-X". I basically never finish them. They always out stay their welcome, and any interest I have in the story gets overtaken by the grind that they inevitably become.

I exclude Divinity Original Sin and Disco Elysium from this, because combat and setting were great in Divinity, and setting and storytelling in Disco Elysium which, I think, is the true successor to Planescape: Torment. Both of those games kept me compelled to the end.

Disco Elysium was every bit as good as Planescape Torment which is the king of (traditional isometric) RPGs in my opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Of games I have played personally, Divinity Original Sin 2 had me (and my husband) hooked from beginning to end.

I often work on my laptop in the evenings while he plays console games, so I will add:
- Anything Assassin's Creed (I even named my horse Medjay)
- God of War
- HorizonZero Dawn

I loved the storylines in these. :)

Reactions: Xyzzy Frobozz
Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind

Though, I'm not super sure that counts as "RPG" in the classic sense. It's turn-based, heavily text, but you do get very into the story and roleplay the clan itself. It's also punishing as all get out, and I've restarted a half dozen times before playing towards a doomed run. Despite being utterly crushed by giving away too many cows, and having my high magic users obliterated in a ritual, it was fun!

Reactions: wheatfat

TRENDING THREADS