Question What RPG Characters have you Dated/Had Relationships With?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
After some discussion about this topic in the "What RPG did you finally find time to play?" thread, I decided to start this thread. What RPG game characters have you romanced in the respective games they're in? I'll get the ball rolling:

Dragon Age: Origins - Zevran (mysterious assassin really does it for me) and Alistair with a little modding.
Dragon Age 2 - Fenris/Anders (One is laced with Lyrium and the other is possessed by a spirit of justice, what's not to love?)
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Dorian and Cullen, again with a little modding

Skyrim - Derkeethus every time. Lizard boi.

Fallout 4 - Danse, usually. Preston is annoying. Plus his obsessive insistence on calling me "babe" every time he addresses me.

Lauren Morton

Staff member
Yesss you will be the master of the dating domain, Garrus!

I have two favorite types of characters for relationships in games, neither of which I'd find desirable in real life but are fun for fantasy.

1. Very sad (sometimes stoic) person with tragic past who you can Fix™ with the sheer force of your love and always picking the correct dialogue option

Dragon Age 2: Fenris
Dragon Age Inquisition: Cullen
Stardew Valley: Shane
Dream Daddy: Robert
Fallout 4: MacCready
Divinity Original Sin 2: Ifan
The Witcher 3: Yennefer

2. Reckless flirt

Dragon Age 2: Isabella
Dragon Age Origins: Zevran
(Bonus non-PC pick) Horizon Zero Dawn: Erend
Fallout 4: Hancock
The Witcher 3: also Yennefer

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
Yesss you will be the master of the dating domain, Garrus!

I have two favorite types of characters for relationships in games, neither of which I'd find desirable in real life but are fun for fantasy.

1. Very sad (sometimes stoic) person with tragic past who you can Fix™ with the sheer force of your love and always picking the correct dialogue option

Dragon Age 2: Fenris
Dragon Age Inquisition: Cullen
Stardew Valley: Shane
Dream Daddy: Robert
Fallout 4: MacCready
Divinity Original Sin 2: Ifan
The Witcher 3: Yennefer

2. Reckless flirt

Dragon Age 2: Isabella
Dragon Age Origins: Zevran
(Bonus non-PC pick) Horizon Zero Dawn: Erend
Fallout 4: Hancock
The Witcher 3: also Yennefer

Fenris is such a stud, I love the edgy guys. Dorian's story line and romance are very atypical for Dragon Age, since up until DAI no one ever really commented on that kind of relationship and the way it factored in the Tevinter Imperium and how his father viewed it and what he tried to do was very cool. That's one of the reasons I loved his quest line.

Lauren Morton

Staff member
Fenris is such a stud, I love the edgy guys. Dorian's story line and romance are very atypical for Dragon Age, since up until DAI no one ever really commented on that kind of relationship and the way it factored in the Tevinter Imperium and how his father viewed it and what he tried to do was very cool. That's one of the reasons I loved his quest line.

Oh heck I forgot Dorian! He belongs in category 2, obviously.

Oh man, let's see.

Dragon Age:Morrigan.
Dragon Age 2: Isabela.
Dragon Age: Inquisition: Josephine Montilyet.

Mass Effect: Ashley Williams.
Mass Effect 2: Tali'Zora vas Neema
Mass Effect 3: Tali'Zorah vas Normandy

KOTOR: Bastila
KOTOR 2: Handmaiden

Also thanks. Now I want to replay the Dragon Age and Mass Effect trilogies.

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
Oh dear, I'm replaying Dragon Age 2 and romanced Anders. I don't think I've ever actually completed the game this far romancing him, it's always been Fenris.

He's so dark in a good way.

Reactions: MONJENK
Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
Oh man, let's see.

Dragon Age:Morrigan.
Dragon Age 2: Isabela.
Dragon Age: Inquisition: Josephine Montilyet.

Mass Effect: Ashley Williams.
Mass Effect 2: Tali'Zora vas Neema
Mass Effect 3: Tali'Zorah vas Normandy

KOTOR 2: Handmaiden

Also thanks. Now I want to replay the Dragon Age and Mass Effect trilogies.

I forgot you can actually romance Josephine. As for Morrigan, well...she seemed a little too dark for my tastes.

Tali is a qtpi.

I forgot you can actually romance Josephine. As for Morrigan, well...she seemed a little too dark for my tastes.

Tali is a qtpi.

Yeah, Josephine can be romanced by male or female characters. Morrigan, I chose because Lelianna was way too religious for me.

Also, Tali is by far my most favorite romance out of all the Mass Effect ones that I did and probably my favorite out of all the games period.

Reactions: MONJENK and Garrus

Lauren Morton

Staff member
Lelianna was way too religious for me.

In my first days of Origins I honestly refused to even take Leliana with me because her whole Manic Pixie Maker Fan thing was just way too much for me.

But I really wish I could romance Leliana from Inquisition. She's so much more interesting and yet unattainable Q_Q

xLeliana-BG_Blue.jpg.pagespeed.ic._kUiPuJ9Qb.webp

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
In my first days of Origins I honestly refused to even take Leliana with me because her whole Manic Pixie Maker Fan thing was just way too much for me.

But I really wish I could romance Leliana from Inquisition. She's so much more interesting and yet unattainable Q_Q

There is quite a stark difference, but what's really cool is there's a lot of unique dialogue if your DA Keep Tapestry world state is set up for the hero of Ferelden romancing her in Origins. She'll comment on how the hero of Ferelden "just left her." It actually adds a bit of back story. If I recall, the exact line was:

"We were in love. Then, he just left me."

Granted, this is regarding a hero that romanced Leliana then sacrificed himself.

You are not wrong! Her character is so much more improved in Dragon Age Inquisition.

There is quite a stark difference, but what's really cool is there's a lot of unique dialogue if your DA Keep Tapestry world state is set up for the hero of Ferelden romancing her in Origins. She'll comment on how the hero of Ferelden "just left her." It actually adds a bit of back story. If I recall, the exact line was:

"We were in love. Then, he just left me."

Granted, this is regarding a hero that romanced Leliana then sacrificed himself.

And that's what I love about Bioware. I just hope they can get back to that. Seeing how characters develop and change over time and through multiple games is just awesome and rewarding.

Reactions: Garrus
Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
OK let's see, going in rough order of when I played Bioware games and only choosing the first option in the case of multiple playthroughs...

• Aerie in Baldur's Gate 2
  • Linu (AND Aribeth? I think you could do both at once) in Neverwinter Nights
  • Nathyrra (and same again with Arabeth I believe?) in NWN: Hordes of the Underdark
  • Bastila in KOTOR
  • I think it was Dawn Star in Jade Empire
  • Liara in Mass Effect 1
  • Leliana in Dragon Age 1
  • Tali in ME 2
  • Isabela in DA2
  • Tali in ME3
  • Cassandra (although almost Josephine) in DA:I
  • Peebee in Andromeda

As for non-Bioware (and some non-PC) games, as I think of them:

• Took the Triss 'path' in both Witchers 1 and 2 and chose her over Yennefer in W3
  • Piper in Fallout 4
  • Camila Valerius in Skyrim
  • Persona 3 (and the others) you can do multiple really, but Yukari was my girl
  • Rise in Persona 4
  • Makoto in Persona 5
I think that's about it

Reactions: SWard
Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
Morrigan in Origins
Weird elf girl in 2
Another weird elf girl in Inquisition

Nobody in KOTOR cos they’re all boring and I was a good, celibate Jedi.
Handmaiden in KOTOR 2. Still a boring character, but I think I had to romance her to Jedi her up? I dunno, maybe I didn’t.

Its too long since I played the Mass Effects, but I think it will have been:
Blue not-a-twilek woman in 1
Crazy, angry girl in 2
No idea about 3 - was their time for romance in that one? Wasn’t the universe being destroyed right from the start?

Shani was my favourite in The Witcher, but you don’t get the choice of going steady with her, so I went with Triss. Dumping Yenn up the mountain was soooooo hard though, emotionally. I must have replayed that section about a dozen times cos I couldn’t bring myself to stick to my decision given how sad it was, but eventually I managed it.

Obviously Barret in FF7.

C_D

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
KOTOR2: can't remember! :(

DAO: Leliana
DA2 (let's never mention this again)
DAI: Cassandra

ME1: Liara
ME2: Tali
ME3: Tali

W1: Triss
W2: Triss
W3: Triss

And yeah, Triss for life ;)

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I've always felt like Bioware "romance" felt awful and shallow. I hate that sleeping with someone is a goal in any game—let alone the method to getting there is essentially "do stuff for me and I'll love you". Ugh.

That being said, I did love the relationship dynamics in the Witcher 3. That's the first game that felt like I was tlaking to people who might have preferences and motivations. Yennefer is my queen.

Reactions: MONJENK and mazz0
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS