What past game deserves a sequel that hasnt had one yet? (2024)

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
This is exactly what I was going to say. Even though I am a big fan of HR and MD, I’ve always wanted a proper, true to the original sequel. Watching any sort of video essays or behind the scenes of Human Revolution, it was very clear they modernized the franchise to appeal to primarily console players. They chose one of the most revered PC games and turned it into a fairly generic third person cover shooter, which was all the rage back in 2011 when Human Revolution came out.

I want to see a real immersive sim sequel for Deus Ex. It doesn’t even have to bring back JC Denton, just focus on the gameplay and world building. Cyberpunk 2077 proved there is a major interest in cyberpunk themed games, and no other game captures the true aesthetic more than Deus Ex 2000.

I want a huge array of augmentation to choose from that all affect gameplay in small or significant ways. I want to have neural implants that make me smarter giving me access to unique dialogue, I want to stack boxes on top of each other to get through a window when I don’t know how else to get in, I want to my actions to affect the whole game and have it show me my consequences. These are all things that we are fully capable of making in a modern game, we just need the drive and initiative from a dedicated group of developers to do this.
Cyberpunk 2077: Larian edition?

I felt the same way about the Deus Ex Human Revolution, it was fine but somehow not as interesting. That might partly have to do with how fascinating and new all the story and lore stuff about Majestic 12 and the Illuminati was to me as a kid who hadnt been on the internet for 25 years yet at that time.

I definitely think the cyberware in Cyberpunk and the different approaches you could use made it feel like original Deus Ex, think I even said it here at some point. I havent played in a couple of years though and I hear they totally overhauled a lot of the systems so that might be more or less the case depending. Obviously thats just , like, my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Well, how about Cyberpunk?
A step in the right direction for sure, but not quite an immersive sim. Though you do have many choices on how you approach missions and playstyle, there just isn’t as large of a scope on player agency as the original Deus Ex had. Love both games to bits but I think their game designs are fundamentally different.
I felt the same way about the Deus Ex Human Revolution, it was fine but somehow not as interesting. That might partly have to do with how fascinating and new all the story and lore stuff about Majestic 12 and the Illuminati was to me as a kid who hadnt been on the internet for 25 years yet at that time.
That is true for me also, I played HR when it was still new and my first impressions were that the lore was very serious and filled with deep state conspiracies. As I’ve played it over the years and learned more about the lore, it’s actually pretty cheesy at times. It is very much a teenagers “what if we had robo-arms and the Illuminati shadow government ran the whole world” kind of story.
I definitely think the cyberware in Cyberpunk and the different approaches you could use made it feel like original Deus Ex
They do work similarly, augmentations/cyberware give access to new gameplay possibilities and boosts your stats. However I think in Deus Ex each augementation served a specific purpose, where a lot of the cyberware in CP2077 (not all) really just gives you small buffs, like being able to regenerate RAM faster when neutralizing an enemy. Similar, yet fundamentally different in my opinion.

A step in the right direction for sure, but not quite an immersive sim. Though you do have many choices on how you approach missions and playstyle, there just isn’t as large of a scope on player agency as the original Deus Ex had. Love both games to bits but I think their game designs are fundamentally different.

That is true for me also, I played HR when it was still new and my first impressions were that the lore was very serious and filled with deep state conspiracies. As I’ve played it over the years and learned more about the lore, it’s actually pretty cheesy at times. It is very much a teenagers “what if we had robo-arms and the Illuminati shadow government ran the whole world” kind of story.

They do work similarly, augmentations/cyberware give access to new gameplay possibilities and boosts your stats. However I think in Deus Ex each augementation served a specific purpose, where a lot of the cyberware in CP2077 (not all) really just gives you small buffs, like being able to regenerate RAM faster when neutralizing an enemy. Similar, yet fundamentally different in my opinion.
You remember much more of the specifics of OG Deus Ex than me, I'm just going off the ghost of half remembered feels. Its a game I have really fond memories of that I've not replayed since 2002 or something, partly because I dont want to spoil the memory because HR was a bit disappointing for me too.

I'd like to see a remaster of the original Deus Ex. IIRC someone mentioned a mod that modernizes the UI and improves it a bit, might have to give that a shot sometime.

You remember much more of the specifics of OG Deus Ex than me, I'm just going off the ghost of half remembered feels. Its a game I have really fond memories of that I've not replayed since 2002 or something, partly because I dont want to spoil the memory because HR was a bit disappointing for me too.

I'd like to see a remaster of the original Deus Ex. IIRC someone mentioned a mod that modernizes the UI and improves it a bit, might have to give that a shot sometime.
Deus Ex Revision is a great mod for that. There are lots of mods that do what you say, but this is the only one I’ve used in the past ~10 years. This is my go to whenever I want to replay Deus Ex, and a major part of that is just because it’s on Steam and easy to get started with.

It adds some new areas but there are options to keep it as vanilla as possible with just the QOL and UI fixes. I generally dislike the retextured character models but there are options to turn those off. It’s very customizable and in my opinion the best way to play Deus Ex in 2024. It still gets updates a few times a year so it’s a fairly bug free experience and just runs very well on modern PCs.

Deus Ex Revision is a great mod for that. There are lots of mods that do what you say, but this is the only one I’ve used in the past ~10 years. This is my go to whenever I want to replay Deus Ex, and a major part of that is just because it’s on Steam and easy to get started with.

It adds some new areas but there are options to keep it as vanilla as possible with just the QOL and UI fixes. I generally dislike the retextured character models but there are options to turn those off. It’s very customizable and in my opinion the best way to play Deus Ex in 2024. It still gets updates a few times a year so it’s a fairly bug free experience and just runs very well on modern PCs.
Nice thanks. I have the GOTY edition in Steam because it was on sale for 2.99 or something, made a note so I may use this one day. If someone like Nightdive did a remaster I'd be straight on board.

I recently played through HR with the developer commentary. It was a lot of fun hearing them talk about why stuff got cut, why places looked like they did, easter eggs, and a lot of cool facts about items they put around in the game, like for example the basketball court, cereals, posters and stuff like that. Here is a video going through them all (in case you have not listened to the dev commentary) and I recommend this instead of ingame because a lot of times the commentary crashes with other actions in the game so you can't hear what they are saying:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhXoYgB7rPU

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts