Question What makes games run smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
I have seen someone playing on his expensive laptop from MSI and his game ran very smooth with zero stuttering nor frametearing. He said it was just cos it was expensive. I also saw some videos online (which I can't find right now) that were like that. I think just buying an expensive computer with an nvidia 3090 won't necessarily do the job. Are there some secrets or secret parameters that maybe manufacturers like MSI use or is it because these companies tweaked their hardware or something? Cos it really makes a big difference. In that way games are really enjoyable while with that constant stuttering that I have had for my last 2 computers gaming is not worth trying. You are constantly irritated and angry.

Last edited:
I have seen someone playing on his expensive laptop from MSI and his game ran very smooth with zero stuttering nor frametearing. He said it was just cos it was expensive. I also saw some videos online (which I can't find right now) that were like that. I think just buying an expensive computer with an nvidia 3090 won't necessarily do the job. Are there some secrets or secret parameters that maybe manufacturers like MSI use or is it because these companies tweaked their hardware or something? Cos it really makes a big difference. In that way games are really enjoyable while with that constant stuttering that I have for these last 2 computers gaming is not worth trying. You are constantly irritated and angry.

When you end with "that constant stuttering that I have for these last 2 computers gaming is not worth trying", it's clear your question is really why can't my PCs play games smoothly.

The first response has to be, list the full spec of both systems, including PSU and OS, as well as resolution played at and what graphical settings you use. We also need to know what games you're playing, and whether you've done any monitoring of CPU and GPU temps and usage.

There's no one simple answer to the intended question though, Games can stutter or lag for a variety of reasons, but let's first see whether your PCs are up to the task.

There might be a simple answer, that being;
your OS might be corrupt or that your hardware/drivers are left lacking updates or your PSU is lacking the necessary power for the platform.

First problem is comparing a laptop to a desktop when in reality they aren't made using the same piece of silicon. Second problem is bundling the issue across multiple system's thinking they are all the same spec's wise.

Seems your PCs werent powerful enough or configured in an optimal way to run the game well if you get constant stuttering, in a general overview. There is also the element that AMD and Nvidia do use their proprietary tech to power games, but general stuttering across multiple games seems to be more of an issue with your pc's configuration, not whether or not your using something like freesync/gsync.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Are there some secrets or secret parameters
No. It's about:

Hardware
Power: old parts are weaker then new parts, and also have more wear and tear.

Balance: there are ~6 crucial parts of a PC. Replacing 6 old with 3 new—and leaving the other 3 old: won't increase performance 50%. Performance will tend towards the lowest performer among the 6, like a weakest link.

Availability: do you have…
A graphics card?
Monitor plugged into graphics car, not motherboard?
16GB RAM?
Free disk space?
A SSD for the games?

Software
Up to date: BIOS, drivers, OS—all these need to be current and working properly.

Configuration: is OS set for max performance? Do you configure graphics settings in each game?

Clutter: close down many/all other software if games are struggling—this includes gaming stuff like overlays, chat apps, performance monitoring apps.

Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
It's not that it's an issue. I still can play them with no problem. But if you're critically you can see that it's not perfect. And I think that even if I buy a computer with nvidia 3090 it still won't be like that. I think it's bad with most of the computers.

It's not that it's an issue. I still can play them with no problem. But if you're critically you can see that it's not perfect. And I think that even if I buy a computer with nvidia 3090 it still won't be like that. I think it's bad with most of the computers.

You can't make that judgement based off of your experience with 2 computers.

Theres a lot of factors both hardware and software you can look into listed by people above, MSI, ASUS or whoever do not have any kind of magic formula, theyre just PC's same as all the rest.

Really doesn't make any sense to make statements like this and expect people to respond. You're clearly in the dark as to why you're having performance issues, yet you refuse to post your hardware spec so those with more experience at it can advise. We can only assume from that your PCs are too low end for the games and/or settings you're using. This is only looking more and more to be a user more than game problem, and the hardware is stuck in the middle saying don't blame the game, upgrade me. I also think if it weren't an issue, you wouldn't have made a thread about it. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
I mean I don't have significant problems. Just stuttering and frametearing as all of the computers have. And I think that having a 3090 won't make it smooth as I saw.

I mean I don't have significant problems. Just stuttering and frametearing as all of the computers have. And I think that having a 3090 won't make it smooth as I saw.
Still making nonsense statements. What possible reason would you have to believe literally ALL PCs have stuttering and frame tear issues? There's clearly a lot you need to learn about what causes such problems, but if you remain to be the main problem, that may never happen.

Without any specs mentioned, this thread is pointless.
Ditto! (y)

Kind of strange this thread was moved to Desktop Hardware when OP still stubbornly refuses to state his hardware because apparently he thinks he's a psychic genius and doesn't need to. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lutfij
Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
Your comments are pointless. All the pc's I've seen by now had these issues. And I'm looking for that special thing that would make it run good. I bet your computers are the same. If you don't know it just don't reply.

I dont have any tearing at all, because I have a Freesync 144hz monitor for VRR. Could that be the secret you seek? ;)

Also not much stuttering when games are installed on an NVME drive, but a lot also depends on in game settings and how well optimized the game is.
Your comments are pointless. All the pc's I've seen by now had these issues. And I'm looking for that special thing that would make it run good. I bet your computers are the same. If you don't know it just don't reply.

Except the MSI laptop you mentioned earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS