Question What graphical settings do you lower or disable for better performance?

Feb 16, 2023
Visit site
So my GPU (GTX 980 Ti) is starting to show it's age. There's no more time of being able to bump all video settings to max. and roll 60+ FPS with it.

Nowadays, on most modern games, I have to lower my video settings to a certain degree to maintain a steady 60 FPS gameplay, so I'm looking for some advice on which settings are the most demanding.

When opening a game, and going into it's settings menu, what video settings do you guys lower (or disable) in order to gain more FPS, and in what order?

What are in your opinion settings that have the most impact on FPS while barely giving any graphical difference?

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
I look on a game by game basis, there are usually good performance guides out there on which settings have the most effect.

Generally speaking, I turn off motion blur before anything, and AA usually on a lower or lowest level as I dont seem to see jaggies much since I went to 1440p. Then I'll max everything else and see how it feels. With FSR/DLSS/XESS coming in newer games if it still doesnt feel good I'll use FSR where available before hitting a guide if needed.

Feb 16, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

We might move this to the Hardware forum if you don't get more good answers here.
Thanks for moving the thread Brian. I didn't know if I posted in the right forum so, I don't mind.

For the settings you've mentioned:

Ray Tracing
You've mentioned Ray Tracing. Just curious but what is this video setting called (in most modern games), and what exactly is Ray Tracing? Just the post-process effect stuff or is it something different?

Anti-aliasing
I play @ 1440p, so AA is usually disabled, as I hardly notice any jagged lines, but sometimes they're still there. In that case, which AA method would you recommend to use that's not a big hit on performance (except FXAA, as it looks ugly for me)? Also how much sampling should I use? 2x, 4x...?

Ambient occlusion
I've always heard that HBAO+ should be enabled and that the performance cost is negligible (1-3 FPS maybe), is there any truth to this, or should I just disable AO entirely?

I look on a game by game basis, there are usually good performance guides out there on which settings have the most effect.

Hi, Kaamos!

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at guides for each game separately is a good idea. Just curious, but do you know of some websites where I would find such guides for each game? So far, the best one I've come across is GamersNexus.

Generally speaking, I turn off motion blur before anything, and AA usually on a lower or lowest level as I dont seem to see jaggies much since I went to 1440p

Fellow, 1440p gamer here as well, and I'll mention the same thing as I did to Brian.

I usually disable AA, as I hardly notice any jaggies at this resolution, but sometimes they're still there. In that case, which AA method would you recommend to use that's not a big hit on performance (except FXAA, as it looks ugly for me)? Also how much sampling should I use? 2x, 4x...?

Hi, Kaamos!

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at guides for each game separately is a good idea. Just curious, but do you know of some websites where I would find such guides for each game? So far, the best one I've come across is GamersNexus.

Fellow, 1440p gamer here as well, and I'll mention the same thing as I did to Brian.

I usually disable AA, as I hardly notice any jaggies at this resolution, but sometimes they're still there. In that case, which AA method would you recommend to use that's not a big hit on performance (except FXAA, as it looks ugly for me)? Also how much sampling should I use? 2x, 4x...?

Gamers Nexus is good, Digital Foundry/Eurogamer does good guides, as well as PC Gamer, PC GamesN. I usually just search and scan a couple of guides for things to try.

With things like FSR and DLSS I believe AA is applied at the same time as the upscaling, so I haven't been using it at all in the last few newer games I've played. Before I would just use FXAA, or 2x MSAA. Whatever the lowest, or least demanding available was.

V-sync is probably one of the first things i turn off for 90% of games. I don't really notice the tearing and i sometimes get better frame rates. That said, some games i have to keep it on as it does the opposite. I remember Crysis 2 with Vsync off was practically unplayable and turning it on made it buttery smooth.

If i can get away with it, i turn off ultra settings. Even if it recommends it. Sometimes the difference between high and ultra are unnoticeable so i turn it off. But on the flip side, if my game runs ok with it on ultra, I'll leave it on just to see what happens.

Motion blur- i hate it and its annoying. Eats performance so its another setting that goes.

TRENDING THREADS