What GPU with Strix b550-f mobo?

Sep 22, 2022
Visit site
What gpu should I use. I have the strix b550-f motherboard. I just don’t know what gpu to get.

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from the unhelpful "Gpu help".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 22, 2022
Visit site
For psu I ordered the rmx series rm850x. The case is a mid tower I believe it’s called aero cool cyclon. And for cpu I’m think on either the ryzen 9 5900x or maybe the ryzen 7. Im also new to the whole pc community but from what I was told the ryzen should fit in my motherboard cuz it’s a amd4 socket

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Hmm. GPU is something i tend to choose based on my Monitor.
I mean going for the biggest baddest GPU sounds nice, but if the monitor is like a bog-standard low-refresh 1080p. That card is going to sit around twiddling its thumbs for YEARS...

I for example. Got a 1440p "Quad-HD" monitor with 144hz refresh. At that time the ideal GPU for that was the GTX1080. These days i guess that would make the RTX3080/RX6800XT. If you got a standard 1080p60hz monitor. You'd be perfectly fine with a RTX3060/RX6700XT.

CPU suggestion: I'd stick with Ryzen 7. Ryzen 9 is more if you are thinking about going into the heavy computing stuff like CAD, Rendering, Encoding, Streaming, etc. For just gaming i personally think it is overkill and better put to ensuring you got enough ram (16gb or bust!!) and the right GPU.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Sep 22, 2022
Visit site
Hmm. GPU is something i tend to choose based on my Monitor.
I mean going for the biggest baddest GPU sounds nice, but if the monitor is like a bog-standard low-refresh 1080p. That card is going to sit around twiddling its thumbs for YEARS...

I for example. Got a 1440p "Quad-HD" monitor with 144hz refresh. At that time the ideal GPU for that was the GTX1080. These days i guess that would make the RTX3080/RX6800XT. If you got a standard 1080p60hz monitor. You'd be perfectly fine with a RTX3060/RX6700XT.

CPU suggestion: I'd stick with Ryzen 7. Ryzen 9 is more if you are thinking about going into the heavy computing stuff like CAD, Rendering, Encoding, Streaming, etc. For just gaming i personally think it is overkill and better put to ensuring you got enough ram (16gb or bust!!) and the right GPU.

My monitor I have rn runs 2560 x 1440 and 165hz.

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
My monitor I have rn runs 2560 x 1440 and 165hz.

So a high-refresh 1440p monitor like mine. That does push one into probably wanting a heavier duty GPU if you plan to play bigger titles and don't want to worry about having to upgrade within the next few generations. It is the downside of having a higher-spec monitor: More pixels that need pushing.

I'm a bit out of the loop on hardware, but these days i'd reckon anything equal/higher than a RTX3070 ought to get the job done due to the prevalence of upscaling stuff like DLSS and FidelityFX.

Though shopping for a GPU atm is kind of madness with price premium, Nvidia's new RTX4000 series rolling out and AMD unveiling their newest generation fairly soon.

You can use any graphics card in existence with that motherboard.

What you might struggle with is if your case was too small, your PSU lacking in quality/capacity, or if your monitor was 4k or 1440p high refresh then a RX6600 might not cut it.

Much of that will also depend on what games you want to play, and also what CPU you are pairing the card with.

For psu I ordered the rmx series rm850x. The case is a mid tower I believe it’s called aero cool cyclon. And for cpu I’m think on either the ryzen 9 5900x or maybe the ryzen 7. Im also new to the whole pc community but from what I was told the ryzen should fit in my motherboard cuz it’s a amd4 socket

Just found this.

I would drop down to a Ryzen 5600X and add that money into the GPU as that will get you a noticeably faster system overall, as GPU is most important.

Better to ask for a complete build IMO, the PSU is great, but the case is not and you would get a more balanced build ideas overall from people who are actively following hardware all the time.

TRENDING THREADS