Question What game you like most when you was a child?

May 3, 2022
Visit site
Some times we need to stop and look back to remember some special things that made our childhood very happy ( I'm talking here about Games from 99s )

My most played game from childhood was probably Mario Kart 64. That was a '96 game.

That year might have been my biggest for time played gaming.

I was 13 and had a friend who was really into gaming as well so that contributed a lot. We had so much free time back then.

Reactions: Brian Boru

Zloth

Community Contributor
I remember playing a lot of Asheron's Call a lot in `99.

Snakes and Ladders.
CHUTES & Ladders for me
Cnl03.jpg

Also, Ricochet Racers. Shooting race cars out of a gun!
View: https://youtu.be/3wFA9LrMgbI

As a youngster/teenager i was not allowed to play games , i bought a primative games machine that you could only play tennis on , it was only used once because my dad came home from work and banned me from using it because he was convinced i would break the telly , when i left home my first favorite game was the hobbit on the spectrum , it had so many bugs in it that a magazine called computer and video games ran a competition for the first person to prove they had completed it , you had to set the game to print every more you made and the metalic paper used by the spectrum smelt aweful.

I'm an old fart, so my childhood games are well before '99 (I was already married in '99).

But when I *was* a kid, I REALLY liked Dragon's Lair, even though I sucked at it. I was a sucker for animation as a kid (still am), and Don Bluth animation especially. So even though it kinda sucked gamewise (it was QTE before QTE was a thing), I have fond memories of beating it. And it only cost me a few months of lunch money! (Years later I beat Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp, and lost another swath of lunch money in the process.)

In fact, now that I think about it, it's somewhat ironic that I'm so against game companies nickling and diming me for DLC, when I used to literally dump quarters for the privilege of playing 5-10 minutes of a game at an arcade. I forget how spoiled I've gotten, literally owning the games that I used to have to visit at a special building for games.

video-box-dragons-lair-death-scenes.jpg (300×200) (classicgaming.cc)

(Tried to embed the image but kept getting an error.)

Answer #2: Games from '99!

Honestly, 1999 was an awkward time for games. They couldn't decide whether they wanted to be 2D or 3D, and 3D still looked like crap for the most part. Also, most of those games won't even run on current systems without some sort of installation upgrade. I have a whole bin of CD-ROMs from the late 90's that I'm lucky if I get any of them to work. (Most of them I've repurchased from GoG.)

I don't know if I really loved any games from '99, but in '98 Fallout 2 came out, and I absolutely loved that game. It tweaked a lot of the quirks of the first Fallout, while still retaining most of what I loved about the first one. My only issue with it is the ending is slightly "eh," and you kept going after the ending, a trend Bethesda would bring back in the DLC update of Fallout 3. (But that's a whole other topic.)

I loved Age of Empires II, which came out in '99, but technically I didn't really love it until the Conquerors expansion in 2000. I no longer remember why specifically, I just know that's when I was thoroughly hooked, especially the LAN portion, which I sometimes miss. I also liked that not everyone had to own the expansion to play it on LAN, I don't think any company does that any more.

I'm an old fart, so my childhood games are well before '99 (I was already married in '99).

But when I *was* a kid, I REALLY liked Dragon's Lair, even though I sucked at it. I was a sucker for animation as a kid (still am), and Don Bluth animation especially. So even though it kinda sucked gamewise (it was QTE before QTE was a thing), I have fond memories of beating it. And it only cost me a few months of lunch money! (Years later I beat Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp, and lost another swath of lunch money in the process.)

In fact, now that I think about it, it's somewhat ironic that I'm so against game companies nickling and diming me for DLC, when I used to literally dump quarters for the privilege of playing 5-10 minutes of a game at an arcade. I forget how spoiled I've gotten, literally owning the games that I used to have to visit at a special building for games.

video-box-dragons-lair-death-scenes.jpg (300×200) (classicgaming.cc)

(Tried to embed the image but kept getting an error.)
I was in love with Dragon's Lair. Compared to every single other game out at the time, the graphics just blew them all away. I thought they must have some advanced tech in that arcade machine. Years later, I was disappointed to find out it was just laser discs playing hand drawn animations, and it wasn't computer generated graphics at all.

Reactions: Krud
In 1982 i was 27 and got my first spectrum , i dont know about other machines at the time but i think the spectrum reached its full potential when games makers tried to do 3d , the machines suddenly slowed down when 2 colours touched and some companies tried putting a 1 pixel border round the edge of each graphic , known as a sprite , in the hope that it would fix the problem but it did not work . The problem was that the chipsets that were around at the time had reached their full potential.

TRENDING THREADS