Question What game induces a Zen-like trance when you play it?

What games induce a Zen-like trance when you play it? Games where you are so focused, so into the game, you tune out everything else around you.

The most recent example of this for me is Vampire Survivors. When I get some good weapons and I’m slicing through enemies like butter, it can be very easy for me to go into full Zen mode. I become so focused on the screen, my eyeballs are totally glued, and I don’t think about anything else. When I die and I can finally avert my attention away from the screen it feels so weird haha. It can be dangerous, so I have to play that game with one headphone off in case my girlfriend is trying to get my attention. I can only play VS for about 45 minutes a session, but I’m that time it can still fully captivate me.

What are some games for you that make you feel the same way?

I think I have that with games where I have multiple plans being executed at once. Civilization and Total War games for example always have multiple projects going on, giving that typical "one more turn" feeling. City building and colony/management sims often have this too. I've gotten so immersed in Dwarf Fortress that the clock literally seemed to jump an hour ahead every time I blinked.

That real zen-like trance typically only happens when such a game is still new to me though. When the amount of information I need to process is so high I cannot focus on anything else.

I can't really remember the last action game where I got really immersed. Maybe Vermintide 2 at times, but it wasn't very consistent.

Halo Infinite doesn't make me feel that way, but I find I play better if I can get into that state of mind. The less I think, the more shots I land. The more I moan about the game in my head the more my game really suffers.
This is true to me for any online shooter. I play worse the more I realize how bad I’m actually doing, but if I can clear my head of that I can focus more and play better. This was especially true on Battlefield 2042 with the 128 player mode, I’d realize I’m so low on my teams leaderboard that I start to play worse. The less I think about it the better I end up doing.
I think I have that with games where I have multiple plans being executed at once. Civilization and Total War games for example always have multiple projects going on, giving that typical "one more turn" feeling. City building and colony/management sims often have this too. I've gotten so immersed in Dwarf Fortress that the clock literally seemed to jump an hour ahead every time I blinked.
When I used to play AoE 2 and Warcraft 3 a lot I’d get this same way. I have so much going on and so much to think about that I’d be totally immersed in what I’m doing. The case for Vampire Survivors is different, it’s more like i’m turning off my brain since there isn’t much strategy required in that game, just fast reflexes and game-sense.

I have that with games where I have multiple plans being executed at once. Civilization
Yeah, Civ is the obvious one for me, to the extent it's impossible to take a game up again if I had to leave it for a few days—just roll a new one and get lost in that instead :)

Doesn't really happen in other genres I play, as even RTS is less strategic than 4X and action games are mainly tactical which is not something I enjoy.

I'm not sure if it's Zen like, but I feel totally immersed, 27 inch screen and noise cancelling headphones make me oblivious to the real world.

I feel like I am one with the character in the environment mainly in; GTAV, DG, and SofW.

I even feel oblivious to myself.

In the first I am custom car- not gamer, the latter two more god character, especially Talion, than gamer.

Reactions: neogunhero and Alm
When I hear the words "Zen-like trance", I'm honestly not sure any game holistically makes me feel that way, but some games have moments that give you goose bumps. Like some of the emotional dialog in The Last of Us Part I, and sometimes it's a well sung song.

I'm playing AC Valhalla lately and the voice actor whom voices Ciara, as well as does her singing, Julie Fowlis is quite good. I've had a distaste for many things Ubi have done (or not done) with their games, but one thing they're great at is nuances like this that pull you in.

Wrath of the Druids is a DLC in the game, which is what I'm playing now, and it's one of those DLCs that is so immersive, you almost don't want to go back to any other countries in the game. It's an added touch that really makes the game.

As far as Zen-like in gameplay, it makes me think of those few moments in Ghostrunner where after many attempts I finally got in a flawless level. A flawless level is basically one with no deaths, which for me is usually not easy to do, save for one level, In Her Own Image.

Dharma City

In Her Own Image

The Summit

Last edited:
Well, yeah, you cut off two major senses. Put on some nose plugs, and even burnt popcorn won't snap you out of it - or a housefire. Better not try that.

That's the whole point of gaming to me, escapism. I've got these neighbours with noisey children + overlapping with lockdown landlord is implementing new fire regulations(drilling and banging all day).

Two and a half years of major construction all around me. Fire doors with intumescent strips that seal me in, etc, etc.

Thanks to gaming and noise cancelling headphones I've been oblivious to most of it.

Plus as I never really die in games, so I thought that carried over into reality.

a bit late to the party, games that put me in a calm, zen trance? Perhaps doom 2. i find it pretty relaxing, perhaps because of experience and perhaps its easy. Some wads do put the pressure on but never to the point my heart is pounding or stressful (unlike chiv2 where i had so much adrenaline that my hands was shaking after stopping).

i suppose any JRPG where i'm grinding levels. Although its more boredom as i wander randomly, trigger engagements, press a few buttons rinse and repeat. Come to think of it, its more boredom and doing it as last thing before i go to bed doesn't help. There have been times i've nearly fallen asleep and had the 3ds in my hands slam into my face.

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
One game known for inducing a Zen-like trance is "Journey." Its serene landscapes, calming music, and minimalist gameplay encourage players to immerse themselves fully in the experience, often resulting in a meditative state.

One game known for inducing a Zen-like trance is "Journey." Its serene landscapes, calming music, and minimalist gameplay encourage players to immerse themselves fully in the experience, often resulting in a meditative state.
its only 90 minutes long... thats not long enough until you reach end, watch credits, and start from the beginning again... depends on if the person you meet along way is a new red robe, or an experienced white robe who knows how to break out of the normal map. Its a nice distraction, thats for sure, its helped me ignore hard times.

Most times I play I am in white robe but I don't really want to escape the world... i seen most of it now. I just play to help others... not as many players on PC compared to Playstation.

I have been lost in games before where the only thing that stops me playing is the sun coming up. Lost completely with no need for ANC headphones... Most arpg do it to me.

Left 4 Dead series versus mode. I have a story about the first time my ex spent the night over and she got to experience me playing that game. I was renting a house at the time and she was sleeping in bed. I was still awake so I sneaked out, booted up the pc and did some VS with my usual team of guys.

Being single for a while and in a house by myself I was use to cranky up the volume cause none of my neighbors could hear it. I could play drums at 2 am and not a single person ever heard it.

So not realizing how loud it would be in the bedroom down the hall I played how I normally do. Shooting and yelling and saying stuff in dumb and funny voices. Well at some point it woke her up and I guess she watched me play for round standing right next to me and then goes "What the hell is going on. I thought it was the end of the world. I hear shooting and yelling and thought it was the apocalypse."

She always use to bring it up to bust my chops. I didn't even notice her right next to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts