Question What game do you wish there would be a remake of?

What game do you wish there would be a remake or maybe a remaster of? A remaster is basically built upon the same code, with more modern graphics, and higher resolution texture, while a remake is basically the game remade from scratch.

Pick one of both, and the games should be 10 years or older.

I'll go first

Remaster: Dante's Inferno. I played this a lot when it first came out on the X360. It was a good game, but sadly it was never released on PC. I would love to play this with modern graphics.

Remake: Morrowind. This was the game that got me into open world RPGs. Would love to see this made from scratch with voice actors. I want to keep the levelling system though.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Remake: Morrowind. This was the game that got me into open world RPGs. Would love to see this made from scratch with voice actors. I want to keep the levelling system though.
Do you know about Skywind?

For me (I'm just FULL of game links today - which is better than what I'm normally full of):

Way too old to just keep the same code, but it deserves a re-make. It could use a little balance help, too - it was too easy to just tie off to a manastone and eat up whatever monsters the AI threw at you until you could simply roll over it.

The anniversary edition is too old now, too. I tried playing it and couldn't even get the save game system to work. Time for a re-make of the re-make!

Not on PC but I would love to see a re-make of Xenogears + Xenosaga. Do the full thing this time. Xenogears ran out of money and had to mangle the end of the game. Xenosaga did fine with the first game, had a terrible combat system in the second game, and then had to combine the four planned games into one, final game in the series. (And that got a bit mangled by censorship here in the US.)

See also https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/games-we-would-love-to-see-remastered-and-or-enhanced.2921/

I stand by my choices of a remake of Morrowind, Black & White and Little Big Adventure 2.

A remaster of Portal seems like it would do well, though I don't really care to revisit it myself.

A remake I would really like to see would be Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. The gameplay is amazing, but the story and level design are pretty mediocre, so a full remake would be better than just a remaster.

God I'd rather non be remade. I'd rather see all that time put into new games and ideas.
I have some remakes of games. They are fun and all, but the originals were fine the way they were.

It's kind of like movies. A few remakes I love more then the originals, but still. The original was amazing and all that time could of been used to make a new story, new characters, do something different even if it was inspired by something else.

Why even to this day I love the original King Kong. Sure it was made using old technology and things have gotten better, but for what they had at the time it was the most amazing thing ever. Like when people saw the first Star Wars, or Jurrasic Park, or played zelda for the first time, or Mario 64. Sure you can remake them, but why?

God I'd rather non be remade. I'd rather see all that time put into new games and ideas.
I have some remakes of games. They are fun and all, but the originals were fine the way they were.

It's kind of like movies. A few remakes I love more then the originals, but still. The original was amazing and all that time could of been used to make a new story, new characters, do something different even if it was inspired by something else.

Why even to this day I love the original King Kong. Sure it was made using old technology and things have gotten better, but for what they had at the time it was the most amazing thing ever. Like when people saw the first Star Wars, or Jurrasic Park, or played zelda for the first time, or Mario 64. Sure you can remake them, but why?

Lots of remakes of movies are worse than the original. That pattern is extending into games as well. Warcraft 3 reforged springs to mind. Careful asking for remakes of games by beloved studios, as the people there now may not be as talented as those who built companies. Knowing current trends they would just put a shop in it and sell you your memories that should be included for free in the game. Blizzard seem to be in the business of exploiting their past now.

Selling people memories is easier than making new things. Shoehorning new characters into series that were perfectly fine without them... hello DIsney. Sell them a series named after someone they know and then make show about someone else. The Mad Max approach. It only works if the new characters are good. Not just a self insert.

I prefer new things as well, so many sequels and franchises now. Safe bets. Boring.

I agree on movies, but not necessarily games. Movie remakes are very rarely better. But sometimes it works out well with games. The difference with games is that sometimes older games aren't supported on modern consoles and PC operating systems. So it's nice to be able to play them on modern systems with some updated graphics.

I'll say this. The fact that they remade Wind Waker on the Wii U was the only reason I ever played it. And it turned out to be probably my 2nd favorite Zelda game, and Zelda is my favorite franchise. So sometimes it's a good thing. I will agree that I'd rather the main studios be working on new games. But there are plenty of smaller side studios that can be contracted to work on remakes.

Sure you can remake them, but why?
Because something excellent and existing is preferable to something new and rubbish.

Your point is valid of course, in theory. In practice, there are very few modern games which can compete in quality with the older classics—which is completely as it should be, they're classics for a reason.

Quality has taken a back seat at the moment. Perhaps when the graphics playing field levels out again—probably in the 30s—then devs will return to competing on quality.

However, I doubt it. Blockbusters dominate movies, 'reality' shows dominate TV—so why wouldn't games go the rubbish route also?

Games that had bugs in the past failed. Games that have bugs now get patched/fixed.
So cream of the crop is why the classics are remembered, as they were the few games released without game breaking bugs. Games were polished before release. If they had bugs, they didn't sell or were forgotten (unless they were like ET - hmm, no remakes of that, I wonder why?)
Now anything can survive , and if you lucky might get polished after release. Depends on if there is an exploit in game that lets players get things for free. Those bugs get fixed. Actual game play? Maybe. So its hard to find games where they spent years making sure it worked before release. They just don't have to anymore. low effort.

Quality has taken a back seat at the moment. Perhaps when the graphics playing field levels out again—probably in the 30s—then devs will return to competing on quality.
Nice dream, they just think of another reason to release remakes with 8k graphics. Making old games look pretty beats actually making anything new. Recycle. I can already hear people screaming for Skyram in 8k. We need photo realistic graphics before they ever think... what else were games known for long ago?? Oh yeah, gameplay. Sounds hard, lets make 16k versions of Skyrim instead and make people think infinite refresh rate is too slow.

I think we need a new Portal game, rather than a remaster. I think the old ones are still fun enough as-is. I can't believe they never made a new one. It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do, and I guarantee it would sell like crazy.

There's still a couple of high profile Portal (2) mods I haven't played, so if I want new Portal content I can get it. Getting a remaster is mostly for the people who haven't played it.

Careful asking for remakes of games by beloved studios, as the people there now may not be as talented as those who built companies.

Besides lack of talent, which might be true or not, I can also imagine most developers aren't going to be very passionate about rehashing an old game. Especially not when the main focus is getting as much money out of the players instead of delivering a quality product.

My last job was in the entertainment industry and I started looking for something else after 5 months. It's truly depressing knowing you're just trying to get as much money from your customers as possible.

I can understand not wanting to remake something others made. Especially if it wasn't your idea to begin with. It can work if you have some inspiration to make it better in some way.
Retro sells, Nostalgia is a big industry. Games industry stuck recreating its old games every 10 years... tries to remember last big new game that lived up to its hype.

So does the blame fall on giant publishers pushing devs to make games that make FIFA like earnings? Wanting to turn every game into an ATM link direct to their players bank accounts? As its easy to blame people who don't care about gameplay and only want profit. Not letting the makers have free reign and forcing them to include NFT (glad that ship sailed fast) and other predatory tactics,

I guess alternate is Star Citizen, same guy has been trying to make the same game now since he made Wing Commander, just had to wait for technology to catch up... still waiting. The dream has so many layers now its struggling to exist.

Put me down for a Witcher 1 remake. Bring it in line with 3. I think it would sell amazingly well, as I hear a lot of Witcher fans saying they just couldn't get into the original game.

Just for Schmidts and Giggles, I wouldn't mind seeing Pool of Radiance remade into a first person action game. Still love the original. I just think it would be interesting to see it in a new perspective.

Witcher 1 is a really good shout. Even if they just remade each area into the Witcher 3 engine and kept a lot of the same sorts of side quests and writing it would be good.

For remaster I'll say TitanFall. The TitanFall 2 campaign was so good I'd love to see them make another one, updating the original but including a proper campaign this time.

For a remake its really difficult, everything I think of is either in the works (Goldeneye, KOTOR, Silent Hill) or has been sort of done or just done (Tenchu/Sekiro, Commandos/Shadow Tactics, Shadow of the Colossus). I would really like to see a Homeworld remake, but I have no idea how you would update it mechanically, which is probably why they just released remasters of it.

I'm just going to say Resident Evil: Code Veronica finished it with a friend a few times on the Dreamcast. They've remade all the others, so it'll probably be along soon enough anyway.

There are several older games I'd love to see remastered or remade, some of those you guys have already mentioned, but here are a few others I'd like to see:

Neverwinter Nights 2 with the Mask of Betrayer expansion. I thought it was an excellent party-based RPG and better that the first NWN. I'd love to see Beam Dog get a chance for at least an enhanced edition.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic & SWKotOR 2 The Sith Lords. Still my favorite Star Wars games of all-time. The second game is well known for being buggy and incomplete, but if a good remake could correct that it would be a really great game.

Fallout New Vegas, another Obsidian game force-rushed out before it was complete, with a lot of content that didn't make it into the final release. Still a great game in it's own right, but a complete remake with cut content included and updated graphics would be a dream.

There are others, but those games came to mind first. Of course not all remakes or remasters are successful, such as the recent remaster of Blade Runner from Night Dive.
Blade Runner Enhanced Edition is a disaster, not a remaster | PC Gamer

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and San Andreas. Not the half-assed money-grubbing remake Rockstar put out as "Definitive Edition" last year. I want them done like Mafia: Definitive Edition, where they kept the storyline and characters intact but did a complete overhaul in designing the world and character models. I'd pay any amount of money for a treatment like this done for the old GTA games.

TRENDING THREADS