What game do you think is overrated?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Dodge roll dodge roll in every single encounter along with a bunch of cheese ways of beating bosses
Oh man, do you have personal security? You've just cut to the core of the RPG genre, only omitting that each encounter typically takes an hour over 7 phases—or a full block of cheddar.

You may need to enter the Witness Protection Program after this.
Oh hah, beat me to it! :D

it’s just mindless button mashing
Yeah, RPG mechanics have become popular in other genres lately. Oh goody.

I'm sending you on a doomed trip
So I'm thinking of organizing an RPG player convention. Could I charter a special plane from you?

Hmm, I might need a bigger boat myself…

might explain why some games get a lot of praise
Oh yeah, there's the big social influence at launch time—a few influencers [local and online] say game is great, and everyone wanting to be part of the 'in' discussions have to follow along.

There are also all kinds of unconscious biases in play:
♣ Anchor—overvaluing the first info you get.
♦ Confirmation—preference for info reinforcing the anchor.
♥ Halo—No, not the game :) Opinion about related item affects view of current item. Eg buggy Bethesda = buggy Starfield—people will find more bugs in it, unless they wait for Stare Field, the Patient Gamer edition.
♠ Favoritism—the 'in' group thing.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Even if you somehow like the story, which is mediocre at best in my opinion, I can't see how you could ever rate a game that's this broken above a 7.
Mediocre is being nice. That story was dreadful! The combat system was pretty terrible, too. After FF7's greatness, I kept waiting for the game to pull out of its tailspin, but it never did.

As to the rest of the posts people made after this point.... ya'wl are

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

James Parker

BANNED
Jun 15, 2023
Visit site
I personally really liked Amnesia: The Dark Descent and I normally do not like horror games (or movies) at all. For me the atmosphere worked really well, even having to manage your sanity and light. So I think it depends a lot on whether you're able to get immersed into the game, as the actual gameplay was pretty mediocre.
I agree that Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a fantastic game, especially if you're not typically a fan of the horror genre. The suspense in the game is incredibly well managed, and the atmosphere is really well done. Despite not being the most inventive, I also believe the gameplay to be quite nice.

Bioshock Infinite
So top one I meet on Metacritic is Bioshock Infinite, rated 94—which makes it #15 of all time.

Too high a rating in my book, it's maybe 80 at best, and in the 60s for my personal take. I didn't like the cartoony graphics style, and there was too much corridor combat to keep interest alive. They also seemed to be compromising on gameplay to accommodate some crazy story—but dunno, didn't wait around. Disappointing after the bright and cheery opening, a nice contrast to the drab and sleazy settings of earlier Bioshocks.

I suspect the crazy dev cycle over many years killed the game's chance for greatness—too many changes of concept, personnel and goals.
There are other contenders, but Bioshock Infinite is definitely high on the list of head scratchers for me. It's certainly a good game, but on a gameplay level it's really weak as an FPS. My take is that they cared more about environments being visually interesting rather than being good for FPS gameplay. It's a middling FPS at best. I think the story carries a lot of weight for many people, but I'm in a minority of people who doesn't like time-based stories, so I thought it was convoluted nonsense.

Reactions: Brian Boru
There are other contenders, but Bioshock Infinite is definitely high on the list of head scratchers for me. It's certainly a good game, but on a gameplay level it's really weak as an FPS. My take is that they cared more about environments being visually interesting rather than being good for FPS gameplay. It's a middling FPS at best. I think the story carries a lot of weight for many people, but I'm in a minority of people who doesn't like time-based stories, so I thought it was convoluted nonsense.

yeah i think the combat in bioshock series in general is a bit cack, the problem is that i think they want you to use plasmids/vigors more then the conventional weapons. That said i was playing on hard so everything became bullet sponges and made weapons feel kinda weak.

Story wise, i like the ideas and creativity of it. it was certainly different compared to other games. A floating city where they worshiped the founding fathers of america like gods. The alternate universe stuff i thought was pretty good personally. The DLC sort of made it go full circle with the original bioshock which fleshed out both games quite nicely.

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
I consider Mafia 3 to be another overrated game. Compared to Mafia 2, this is just a hyped game about nothing. It gained popularity only thanks to the good previous version. This is one of those cases where you can say that “it was better before.”

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS