Question What do you think is the most obscure title you have played?

What game, or games, have you played that you think hardly anyone else has even heard of, let alone played? Here is what I believe to be the most obscure, and even unique "game" I have played. Appropriately it's about ghosts. It even says so in the title. 👻

Ghosts, by Media Design Interactive, 1994

Less of a game and more of a documentary style presentation of various ghost related stories you find yourself at Hobbs Manor, a guest of one Dr. Marcus Grimalkin (played by the legendary Christopher Lee). With Grimalkin as your host you will explore Hobbs Manor to experience the hauntings of the manor itself as well as real life video clips, photos and case files from some of the UKs most prolific paranormal investigators as well as witnesses to ghost related activity. Dr. Grimalkin himself will pop up from time to time with tidbits of spooky information be it about superstitions or, perhaps the highlight of the game, to tell you a ghost story (as only Christopher Lee can) drawn from history itself. Each room of the mansion has its own ghost to find as well.

While PC multimedia was still in its infancy at the time I really thought this "game" was well put together and absolutely full of incredibly creepy images, stories, anecdotes and audio recordings. Just now thinking of some of the stuff in it gives me the chills. I still have the original CD. I need to figure out how to be able to play it again. ANyway, this obscure game is also truly unique. Here's about 35 minutes of gameplay from YouTube I found:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa63mzTB80M

Last edited:
@Pecan I guess technically, but maybe not ideally?

@Frindis I remember that one. Quite the obscure experiement. Never played myself, but reminds me there is/was a Queensryche interactive game that I neve rplayed either. Probably not as weird as what Peter Gabriel would come up with though. I bet that is weird as it gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frindis

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Can't believe this game is still listed for $20.00, should be a $5.00 title tbh (I payed full price anyway - prob just finished watching Ben Hur or something). Regardless I've put 24 hours into it so I'd say I got my money's worth.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
For me probably Redcat & Het spookkasteel (English: Redcat and the ghost castle). There's no English title because it's a Dutch game.

Maybe some more dutch people know the game, I don't think anyone outside the country knows it. Developerwas better known though, they also created the Racer games (Dutch A2 Racer), London Racer, USA Racer.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
How could one even consider Outlast being obscure is kinda beyond me.

Hm.... maybe Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul, from the games I like and played a lot but is rather unknown? Probably first cRPG with crafting systems and is still rather unique.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJS5udEvM-U

Or Clash - polish turn based strategy that was meant as Heroes of Might & Magic competition :? Probably even less known than EI.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XjC9gCiJU8

Or another polish "cult gem" in the shape of Pył that was killing every hardware available and runs poorly even to this day.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA5BOzgn39g

The Learning Company's Treasure Math Storm (it took a while to even find the English name). I also played Gizmo's and Gadgets (playable at archive.org). Their Cluefinders series was pretty great as well.

And probably even less well known, "Itacante: La Cité des Robots", or "Stad van de Robots". I'm pretty sure this was only made in French and Dutch.

Then there's Aztec: The Curse in the Heart of the City of Gold, which I've never heard anyone else mention before in my life.

I also just found Rubik's Games from Hasbro Interactive. Probably not as obscure, but also not something I've heard anyone mention before.

And perhaps the most obscure title of them all: Asklaver, the video game of the Dutch card game klaverjassen. It's freeware though, not sure that really counts (I'm sure there's a ton of super obscure freeware games).

For me probably Redcat & Het spookkasteel (English: Redcat and the ghost castle). There's no English title because it's a Dutch game.

Maybe some more dutch people know the game, I don't think anyone outside the country knows it. Developerwas better known though, they also created the Racer games (Dutch A2 Racer), London Racer, USA Racer.

Every Dutch gamer knows Redcat!

Or Clash - polish turn based strategy that was meant as Heroes of Might & Magic competition :? Probably even less known than EI.

I actually got that game from a friend of my dad's when he was cleaning out his house. Never played it though.

TRENDING THREADS