Weird Shadows

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I have no idea how to explain my "problem", so I've provided some pictures below;

Shadows appear blurry, "too deep" then cascading into a lighter shade. Can anyone identify this issue?

This happens in all games that deal with darker areas, such as caves or videos that have darker shades.

I'm not sure I see what the problem is in the game screenshots, and it's hard to tell in the screenshot of the video because youtube compression.

Can you post some screenshots alongside some photographs taken of the image on the monitor? In case the issue is how the image is displaying on the screen rather than how the PC thinks it looks?

Reactions: OsaX Nymloth
I'm pretty familiar with the Skyrim logo screen :D

The screenshot looks completely normal to me. The photo, it's hard to tell because of the flash, but I think I see what you mean - like a kind of banding in the smoke, moreso than there is naturally.

So the problem might be with the screen, not the computer.

Do you have any other screens you can try in your home? Either another monitor, or even a TV?

If not, or as well as the above, do you have any other devices in your home that you could plug into your monitor to test?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
This is a Laptop, MSI GE75 Raider.

A friend of mine said this was the best photo, it shows what I mean. If you look at the "background" of the app, the cascading shadows.
Instead of it being one solid colour, black/blue, it's several different ones in different shades.

EDIT:
Just plugged it into the TV, the image linked above appears in one shade, not like in the example I provided.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
It's definitely the screen issue. Since this is laptop, you may try playing around with brightness/contrast settings. Try connecting it to other monitor or TV via HDMI (or other display port you have available).

If nothing helps, the only solution would probably be changing the matrix, but that's expensive process.
How long do you experience this issue vs how long you own this laptop?

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Hello again,

I'm on a different PC now, and I understand how ludicrous the images must look. As I see no issues on this computer at all, except for the Skyrim one I took with my phone.

If nothing helps, the only solution would probably be changing the matrix, but that's expensive process.
How long do you experience this issue vs how long you own this laptop?

I started noticing it regularly on Skyrim, then every other game. I've had the pc for what? 2 months? It's basically brand new.

TRENDING THREADS