Weekend Question: Who do you want to play in the next Witcher game?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: Who do you want to play in the next Witcher game?

We're calling the recently announced and currently unnamed Witcher sequel The Witcher 4 since calling it Untitled Geralt Game would be funny, but less accurate. It's probably not going to be a game about Geralt, given how neatly his story was tied up in The Witcher 3, and the fact this sequel will be "kicking off a new saga for the franchise." So who do you want to play next? Another existing character, like current frontrunner Ciri? Or would you rather play a game where you build your own witcher from scratch?

This is a surprisingly difficult question. I'm as massive fan of the Witcher universe, and it is one of my favorite fantasy universe's ever. The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I've read all the book, played all the games, and watched all of the Netflix show. Still, even as a huge fan, I really don't know where I want them to go with. Geralt is an amazing character, but I agree that his saga should be over with the third game. The safe bet is on Ciri, and I wouldn't be unhappy with that outcome. I don't know who else would warrant a new saga in the series. Ultimately, I think it's between Ciri or building your own character and choosing your path as a Witcher for me.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I’m not sure it would be necessarily a good idea for a main character, but I think playing as one of the sorcerers or sorceresses would be a lot of fun. Maybe if they did it like when you’d gain control of Ciri for a short while. You’d get the power of her teleportation, and playing as someone like Yennifer maybe you could have other powers available.

For a main character I think a build your own character may be cool in theory, but Geralt’s personality and background were so interwoven with the story beats that I don’t think they could pull off the same feeling without him or another important character as the lead.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sarafan
Ciri was extremely fun to play in The Witcher 3, but she isn't really a witcher, so I'm guessing we'll play as someone completely new who isn't a part of the official story. If they are starting from scratch, there's no reason why they can't let you create your own character, so I'm guessing this is the route they will go, which is fine with me. I'll create a character named Geralt. I can already picture him in my head...long white hair...

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Definitely not Geralt. This chapter in The Witcher series appears to be closed. I also wouldn't want Ciri as the main protagonist. Although there's a potential in this character, she's greatly overpowered and any explanation of nerfing her would be a standard cliche which I have enough. I would prefer to create my own Witcher and choose his school, set of skills, appearance etc. I'm quite pessimistic when it comes to realization of this idea however. The teaser image clearly points that the main character school will be predefined. I hope that I'm wrong, because I expect more freedom in terms of what character I want to role-play.

Reactions: Ryzengang

TRENDING THREADS