Weekend Question: What NPC bark are you most sick of hearing?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. This week the question is: What unreleased game of 2020 are you most looking forward to? If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

Which one line of repeated dialogue, whether a greeting or a combat bark or just a bit of incidental chatter that Todd Howard didn't think would be especially memorable, would you most like to remove from a game and your memories?

Reactions: SWard

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
In Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order the troopers constantly say "He's killing everyone!" which not only is a dumb thing no one would say, it's also repeated constantly (you'll hear it maybe 6 times on the first level alone). Yes Gary, he is killing everyone, but a line like "He's taken them out", "he's depleted our forces" or pretty much anything else would have sounded a bit more natural, and not like that trooper has never seen the inverse law of ninja before.

You're better than that, Gary. You are. 🙏

Reactions: Frindis and randyl
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
Most of the common Pawn dialog in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

"Tis a troubling foe." "Soaked to the bone." a few others about getting drenched. Something something "THE BRINE!"

I just want to tell them, "Less chat, more action."

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
The lines I hate the most are where an NPC is sobbing inconsolably, especially if there is voiceover for it.

"Ohhhh...hooHOOOOOhoohoo Whyyyyyyyy? HOOOhoohooo..."
Sure, I'd be happy to help you out. What do you need?

Here you go, I defeated the nasties to wreak revengenination and recovered your mother's heirloom.

What now?
"..."

Later, every time I walk past...

Please, Devs, shut the faucets off after I fix The Thing That Was Wrong!
:)
ST

Reactions: I Will Haunt You
Right now, specifically, from Greedfall it would be the companion warning that I am running out of magic and should drink a potion to restore it. They remind you every single time it happens and it can't be disabled.

Bonus would be anything Skyrim right now. I've played 70 hours worth the last couple of weeks and the last 4 or so of those hours I muted the game and put on some MixHound from YouTube.

Zloth

Community Contributor
The various drinking sounds in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Humans do it a lot. GLUG GLUG GLUG!! SSSLLLLUUURRRRP! My ears are just inches from my throat but somehow these character's noises are louder than my own swallowing!

Most of the common Pawn dialog in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.
Wolves hunt in packs!!

Thing is, their dialog is important... to other pawns. The pawns seem to learn things about enemies when they hear things like that from each other. You do, too, I suppose.

Reactions: randyl
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
The various drinking sounds in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Humans do it a lot. GLUG GLUG GLUG!! SSSLLLLUUURRRRP! My ears are just inches from my throat but somehow these character's noises are louder than my own swallowing!

Wolves hunt in packs!!

Thing is, their dialog is important... to other pawns. The pawns seem to learn things about enemies when they hear things like that from each other. You do, too, I suppose.
Yeah, I agree. It's important to listen to their cues, especially in dangerous areas. It doesn't bother me much. Sometimes I run them into the water just to get back at them.

Reactions: Zloth

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. This week the question is: What unreleased game of 2020 are you most looking forward to? If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

Which one line of repeated dialogue, whether a greeting or a combat bark or just a bit of incidental chatter that Todd Howard didn't think would be especially memorable, would you most like to remove from a game and your memories?

ANOTHER SETTLEMENT NEEDS YOUR HELP - Preston Garvey circa 2287

Reactions: Frindis and Zoid

McStabStab

Community Contributor
In Anno 1800 every time a trade is fulfilled with Sir Archibald Blake he says, "I can finally get rid of that pent-up gas!"

It's fine the first 20 trades and then you're like, bro maybe it's time to see a doctor.

Reactions: randyl
Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
I think the bark that haunts me the most at the moment is in Divinity: Original Sin 2. There's an NPC in Driftwood that walks up to a fish cart and says "It smells worse over here than a dozen rotten eggs dropped in a vat of vinegar," in an accent that is not at all grating.

Reactions: Zoid and Frindis

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I think the bark that haunts me the most at the moment is in Divinity: Original Sin 2. There's an NPC in Driftwood that walks up to a fish cart and says "It smells worse over here than a dozen rotten eggs dropped in a vat of vinegar," in an accent that is not at all grating.

HEAR YE! HEAR YE! QUEEN JUSTINIA EXECUTES TWO DOZEN NOBLEMEN FOR INSAHBOHDINAYSHUN!

Reactions: Mknott

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I've always had enough of Minsc phrases when I was finishing Baldur's Gate 2. It's a great character, but he frequently uses the same texts. You can really be fed of "We are all heroes: You and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere! Rejoice!" yelled hundreds of times during one playthrough. It's even worse if you pair him with Lilarcor talking sword...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
My favorite NPC chatter is from Divinity:OS in the first town, there is a vendor who says (in a voice like WC Fields), "Nobody has as many friends as a man with many cheeses!" It's hilarious, but they changed it in the remastered version to sound more normal. I miss it.

Reactions: Mknott and Zoid
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Worms Armageddon stock brit voice
"Take cover!"
All of the dialogue from all of the characters from Black Ops 1 Kinodertoten zombies.

And typing noises in any Pokemon or Custom Robo or Zelda or Shining Force

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
I've always had enough of Minsc phrases when I was finishing Baldur's Gate 2. It's a great character, but he frequently uses the same texts. You can really be fed of "We are all heroes: You and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere! Rejoice!" yelled hundreds of times during one playthrough. It's even worse if you pair him with Lilarcor talking sword...
"Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes! YARRRR!"
Worms Armageddon stock brit voice
"Take cover!"
You just took me way back with this one. I can still hear it perfectly.

Right now, specifically, from Greedfall it would be the companion warning that I am running out of magic and should drink a potion to restore it. They remind you every single time it happens and it can't be disabled.

Bonus would be anything Skyrim right now. I've played 70 hours worth the last couple of weeks and the last 4 or so of those hours I muted the game and put on some MixHound from YouTube.

This reminds me of the Guildmaster of Fable. Fable 2 included a loading screen message that said "Shortly after Jack of Blades was slain by a Hero, the Guildmaster was rumored to be killed by that same Hero. The words 'Your health is low!' were carved into his forehead"

"I am sworn to carry your burdens" Lydia from Skyrim.

One of the first mods I got was to turn off that one line.

TRENDING THREADS