Weekend Question: What 'dead' genre deserves a comeback?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What 'dead' genre deserves a comeback?

With Age of Empires 4 and Company of Heroes 3 on the way, it seems reports of the death of the RTS were greatly exaggerated. The retro FPS comeback is ongoing, as is that of skateboarding games. CRPGs and even FMV had their turns, and the point-and-click adventure before that. What unfairly forgotten flavor of videogame should rise from its grave next? Vehicular combat games maybe, or rhythm games with peripherals, or rail shooters? Do you want Riders Republic to usher in a new era of extreme sports games? Is Splitgate bringing the arena shooter off life support? You tell me.

Vehicular combat games

Yes, definitely. I want a new vehicular combat game with destructible environment. Specifically, a remake of Rollcage.

I also want a proper god game. Not a different genre where you happen to play as a god, I don't want a management game or a RTS or anything like that.
It doesn't have to be a remake of Black & White, though I would accept that as well. I really liked From Dust as well.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Apart from the RTS genre, I'd say flight simulators. We recently had another edition of Microsoft Flight Simulator, but it barely covers military airplanes and doesn't support any military operations. In the late 90s we had a flood of these kind of games. Does anyone remember titles such as F-22 Raptor, F-22 Lightning 2 and 3, Total Air War, Lock On (this one is from early 2000s) and some other? Most of them were developed by Novalogic and you can still get them on Steam, but they have some serious trouble working on modern hardware. It's a niche genre, however I would certainly see it back at least to some extent.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
on rail shooters for me please, my last one being the quite recent panzer dragoon 1 remake on steam, well worth a buy, its absolutely gorgeous, and once you hit level 3-delisiously brutal,but you keep coming back for more.
worth a go, especialy folks who have never played on rails before,best played with an xbox one pad though.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS