Upgrading old 3D rig

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone. First time posting here.

I have an old (2010) 3D rig from my old job days that I am looking at upgrading to a standard gaming rig... Thinking my Graphics card is the easiest thing to upgrade to at least something usable...

What I have:
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Card: GeForce GTX 570

Was going to get xbox game pass on the machine to start but realized I am barely at minimum for that....

Not sure what Card/upgrades will even support the processor. But I'd rather not toss it as the case with so many fans from the 3D rendering I used to do makes a pretty cool/airy case....

Any thoughts?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjrJ7qH3_8

Hi and welcome :) Like you, I thought that your CPU would still be usable in 2021 for gaming and I think for the most part it is. However as you can see from the video you may have trouble running some modern games due to its age.

You'll probably want to upgrade to Windows 10 as Windows 7 is not receiving security updates any more which would leave you vulnerable to malware.

As far as graphics cards go, assuming your PSU must be at least half decent to run a GTX 570. I'd still advise replacing it soonish as it must be over 10 years old at this point.

GPU wise go with something mid to low mid range, as your CPU will be a limit on your performance in a lot of cases, and its not a good idea to push your old PSU too hard. For a brand new card, stick with something like a GTX 1660 or an RX570 on the AMD side. A lot of that would depend on your budget as prices are still inflated due to the graphics card shortage. Even a GTX 1050Ti would be a good upgrade though.

You might be better off looking for something second hand, in which case pretty much anything released in the last 5 years would be an upgrade, Nvidia 900 series and onwards. But as previously mentioned try and stick to mid range cards (x60/x70) to avoid pushing your PSU too hard for now. Older AMD stuff is a bit harder to recommend as the power requirements have generally been quite high.

On the bright side your GTX 570 should be able to play at least some indies for now if you cant get a decent upgrade in your budget.

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Yeah thats what i figured. For now going to a gtx1050ti or gtx1660 so i have something for now. I can run some steam games - Thanks for the tips!

TRENDING THREADS