Upgrading my alienware m18 r1

Sep 15, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

I bought my alienware m18 r1 a few months ago, and started downloading and installing games on to my PC. Everything is working perfectly and the graphics are amazing. However, I only have 1TB SSD and I'm looking to upgrade my SSD to 4TB. Dell has it for like $1300 which is ridiculous, so I'm looking at the Samsung 990 Pro. Reviews looks good, price around $400. Is the Samsung 990 Pro compatible with the Alienware m18? And how well does the SSD run on the m18?

I tried to call both Dell and Samsung support, but they don't seem like they know anything. It's frustrating and going online and ask for help is my last resort. When I Google m18 r1 specs and look at the OEM parts, to my knowledge the current 1TB SSD is a class 40. And I don't know what class the Samsung 990 Pro is, I tried to look online and ask Samsung but they don't even know.

When I called dell to ask if the Corsair vengeance cl44 ram is compatible with the m18, and the lady told me it is recommended to get something that is cl40 which is the same as the ram currently in the laptop right now. So I can't get ram that is cl44, but it's recommended I get cl40? So I am looking at the Kingston fury 2x32gb instead. I am trying to improve my laptop and bringing it up to it's maximum potential, not making it worst. Can someone please give me some info and opinions of what to get? Is upgrading to Samsung 990 Pro for SSD, and 64gb Kingston fury ram good for my laptop? Thank you for your help!

The thing is, the hardware you are looking at is compatible with the hardware in the m18 r1, but that doesn't automatically mean that it will fit properly. For instance, if you buy an ssd, it probably needs to be in the m.2 2280 form factor for it to actually fit in the laptop. I'm sorry that Dell support is being useless because you really need to verify with them before buying. Maybe just ask them if the SSD needs to be in that form factor.

By the way. from what I'm reading, you would be better off going with the SK Hynix P41 SSD, which is better built and more reliable than the Samsung, which is having failure problems.

Reactions: Brian Boru

ninja_gaydad

BANNED
Sep 14, 2024
Visit site
Not the OP, but I have 4 TB of storage, and I'm using almost all of it right now, mostly on games. I have a few hundred installed.
Ok. Let me rephrase my question:

Why do you need ready access to so many games and memory at once? Wouldn't it be easier to just use an external hard drive and reload whatever game you need on to your SSD rather than having a massively over flowing SSD?

Ok. Let me rephrase my question:

Why do you need ready access to so many games and memory at once? Wouldn't it be easier to just use an external hard drive and reload whatever game you need on to your SSD rather than having a massively over flowing SSD?
Why not? And, no, it wouldn't be easier to constantly move games from one drive to another. I often play half-a-dozen or more different games a day. Also, the statement "massively overflowing SSD" is pointless and a made up problem.

Reactions: Brian Boru
half a dozen games … playing everyday and how is that possible

I played 4 games yesterday. One for 5 minutes on a quick break, another for a few 10-15 minute breaks, third for maybe an hour—working my way thru ~100 levels—and 4th my main game.

I'm a very conservative gamer by forum standards, so a luna an explorer like Zed playing 6 is nothing unusual.

Reactions: ZedClampet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts