Question Upgrade Time - Am I Way Off The Mark Here? Any Help Would Be Great!

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Looking to upgrade my PC.

I have:

Intel Core i5 7400 @ 3.00GHz
8.00GB Ram
Acer Aspire GX-781
2MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
PSU: 80PLUS Bronze ATX, 500 W

Could i upgrade to:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super
and 32 GB ram with the current PSU?

Here is the system i purchased:

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue/computing/desktops/windows-desktops/acer-aspire-gx-781-gaming-pc/N192967W

If i have to replace the PSU is this even possible with pre builds?

Any help or suggestions or anyone that has this desktop would love to hear from you.

Thanks guys,

Appreciate any help,

Chris,

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In all fairness, to make it not seem like you're undergoing a horizontal upgrade, you should look into the GTX1070 or higher. The 1650 is about the same as your GTX1050.

That being said, might want to read through this thread;
thermals is one primary concern apart from PSU's...so if you're cooking your hardware, skip the GPU and your components as ingredients.

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In all fairness, to make it not seem like you're undergoing a horizontal upgrade, you should look into the GTX1070 or higher. The 1650 is about the same as your GTX1050.

That being said, might want to read through this thread;
thermals is one primary concern apart from PSU's...so if you're cooking your hardware, skip the GPU and your components as ingredients.

Thank you, this is a great help.

Appreciate the advice on the graphics card.

Just looking for something that would be an entry-mid level gaming machine.

Is this possible with a pre-build?

Any help or advice would be great,

Or am i better off building from scratch or going for a pre-build?

Thanks,

Chris,

Your 2GB(not 2MB)GTX1050 is actually a GPU meant for entry level gamin, so I'm not exactly sure what your understanding of entry level is. Might want to mention the titles you'd like to play on the system and at what resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Nope, not a typo. What I meant was, the upgrade needs to be significant, to be worthwhile otherwise it'll seem like the money wasn't spent in the right arena. I left the wattage of the PSU(alongside of the quality/age of the unit) out since the primary thing to note is that the GTX1050 is an entry level card.

Given this is 2023, something that's from the RTX3000 series but at this point of time we're looking at an RTX4060 coming out to which point it'd be moot with the sort of hardware in the prebuilt.

To also add, the case is merely a hotbox from what I see off of online images. Rather than spend any money on the current platform, I'd get something from the ground up/new. If you build it with off the shelf parts, you know what goes into the build and is of a higher quality. Prebuilt's like HP/Dell and their ilk can and will cut corners in order to make that profit at your expense.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
Nope, not a typo. What I meant was, the upgrade need to be significant, to be worthwhile otherwise it'll seem like the money wasn't spent in the right arena. I left the wattage of the PSU(alongside of the quality/age of the unit) out since the primary thing to note is that the GTX1050 is an entry level card.

Given this is 2023, something that's from the RTX3000 series but at this point of time we're looking at an RTX4060 coming out to which point it'd be moot with the sort of hardware in the prebuilt.

To also add, the case is merely a hotbox from what I see off of online images. Rather than spend any money on the current platform, I'd get something from the ground up/new. If you build it with off the shelf parts, you know what goes into the build and is of a higher quality. Prebuilt's like HP/Dell and their ilk can and will cut corners in order to make that profit at your expense.

Thanks, with the GPU - sorry my fault it is def 2 GB and not 2MB - made me laugh. :)

Happy with the CPU for now - just looking for more ram - it is only at 8gb now. So, thinking 16gb or even 32gb and want a GPU upgrade that will allow me to play latest games on Medium settings.

Is an upgrade possible?

Or am i better building from the ground up?

I suppose i am trying to work out with the upgrades above - will they fry in this case? If so, i will probably build from the ground up.

Thanks for your help, appreciate your time,

Chris,

TRENDING THREADS