Upgrade Path or New Build Later

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi, Im new here and looking for advice (obviously)
I have been gaming on PC for a couple of years - mainly driving sims (triple screen or VR) and more recently (this week) MSFS2020. Now my current build is running ok, but with the new MSFS and ACC in the racing genre, demands are growing on the systems. My current set up is:
Intel Core i7-7700K
Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra Gaming
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti
32GB DDR4-3600 RAM
850w PSU
Now, what is the recommended path with regard upgrades, do you run this until it gives up or games are no longer running well, then buy/build a new system, or continually upgrade and try to stay as current as possible? My thoughts were to upgrade the CPU to current gen' 10900k (Mobo will need the upgrade too, so ideas welcome!) then wait for next gen Nvidia GPUs next year. This splits the cost over the next year or so, depending on Nvidia I guess. I'm not sure if this is the sensible option, funds permitting, or am I better just running this system until something either fails or it is outdated. As I said I'm relatively new to PC gaming and the more I read the more confused I get, thanks for any help or advice from you all.

do you run this until it gives up or games are no longer running well, then buy/build a new system, or continually upgrade and try to stay as current as possible?

The former. Absolutely the former. Upgrade only when you need.

You upgrade when you need something you don't already have, such as a specific feature, or a particular level of performance. If it still gives all the performance you want, keep using it until it no longer does. Then consider upgrading.

That way, by the time you need to upgrade, you'll be able to buy newer (currently unreleased) generations of tech. Giving you more features, more performance, and lasting you longer into the future versus something you might buy today for the same price.

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Oussebon, makes sense.
With regard future upgrade path, I assume the Mobo would be next as it no longer supports current gen chips?