unreal engine update

I am curious why epic game interface is wanting me to update their unreal engine , during a discussion in a steam forum a developer said only devs should update the unreal engine so that they can make sure it does not mess up their games

Which update are you referring to? The 5.1 update introduced nanites, which means even tree foliage can now use scalable levels of polygons according to their distance, and means no more need to have several levels of LOD for trees. It also happens automatically once applied, so is a huge time saver for development, and even offers better performance. One of the most noticeable benefits is when zooming in and out of dense forest scenes, there's no longer any noticeable flash when distant trees become or no longer become sprites.

As far as updates being only for developers, anyone using UE5 is technically developing something at some level, even if just small mods, so I don't see that it's relevant to anyone using the editor.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Does the Epic store app itself use Unreal 5!?
I had a quick look at small bits of their code—need a headache? look yourself!—and seems to be just the usual web page techs in use.

I very much doubt Unreal could function as a web page or store app—but of course I know nothing about Unreal. A core principle of coding is to pick the right tool for the job, and there are right tools for web pages and stores—I have never ever heard of any game engine even mentioned in passing as a possible solution for such work.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Seems like you COULD probably put together an application using Unreal Engine. It clearly knows how to make windows on a screen with information inside them, including pictures and videos. I really doubt it would be a very efficient way to do an application like that, but maybe Epic wants to prove something about UE's flexibility?

Or maybe I just had too much fudge-covered chocolate, and cherry pie, and not-diet pop, and.....

The majority of my games are on steam but i do have some on other games platforms including epic.

My epic interface keeps prompting me to update unreal engine v4 , i dont know if its a patch or a complete update to v5 which a lot of forums say is very buggy.

I am curious as to why i am being offered this update because over on steam i had this discussion and a games dev went into great detail as to why users should NOT do engine updates themselves. He said that only devs should update an the engine to make sure it works ok with their programs and if it proved ok then they would give it to you through a normal update patch

Last edited:
ok so first an apology ..... i had forgot that i had started another posting on this

The epic interface is wanting me to update v 4.27.1 AND get v5

No brian i have not installed the engine myself because i would not have a use for it , i only have it because it came with either operencia or satisfactory

ok so first an apology ..... i had forgot that i had started another posting on this

The epic interface is wanting me to update v 4.27.1 AND get v5

No brian i have not installed the engine myself because i would not have a use for it , i only have it because it came with either operencia or satisfactory
Is it possible Epic could be set up for auto-updates, and one of those games is requiring the update? I don't know enough about Epic or those games.

Jan 7, 2023
Visit site
Is it possible Epic could be set up for auto-updates, and one of those games is requiring the update? I don't know enough about Epic or those games.
not new here. was a user for a long long time till pc died right when i change isps. so i lost access to the account.(since 2006)
anyhow. only way i got get Unreal Engine to install to latest. was to uninstall prev version of it.

TRENDING THREADS