Question TV vs Monitor

Dec 11, 2020
Visit site
Hey everyone. I recently put together my first gaming PC so I’m very new to all of this. I have yet to get a decent monitor so I’ve just been using a Samsung 32” 1080p HD LED Smart TV. Everything seems to work fine. My friend and I started playing No Man’s Sky and with mid-to-low settings my game runs great. But I found out that my friend - who has an almost identical PC build as me - is running his game on maxed out, ultra settings with no issues. When I try to do that I get 1 FPS. I searched online for people experiencing similar issues with No Man’s Sky but couldn’t figure it out. The only difference is that my friend plays on a monitor, not a TV like me. I already knew a good monitor makes a huge difference in the picture but does it significantly lower FPS? Again, sorry if this is a very obvious question - I’m new to all this. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, first off, we will need to know how identical both your and your friend's system's are. There's also the matter that you might have older drivers or maybe there's a glitch in the OS side on your system.

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Considering you've brought your friend's system into the picture, we'll be seeing two sets of specs. Include the OS version and the drivers you've worked with.

To add, No Man's Sky was known to have issues and I think they might've been ironed out with updates(patches).

Reactions: jespo90
almost identical PC build
Depends what the "almost" is :)

The 2 things affecting what's happening should be:
1) Graphics card is most likely culprit;
2) CPU might be the problem—that's your PC's main chip.
So let us know what both PCs have for those 2 items.

a good monitor makes a huge difference in the picture but does it significantly lower FPS?
No.

Also, in the same way there's a significant difference between a PC for gaming and a PC for business or school, there's a significant difference between a TV for gaming v not gaming. I use my setup for business and gaming, and both my displays have been TVs for at least a decade if I recall correctly. Switch on 'Game Mode' in your TV if it has it.

Here are notes I made a while back:
Monitor +
Latency
Color Accuracy
Aspect ratios
TV +
Price
Size
Contrast
Cinematic Look
Ports + AirPlay
Multiple Inputs
OTA Tuner

Here's an article:
Buying a New TV for Gaming? 4 Tips to Keep in Mind

Dec 11, 2020
Visit site
So my friends specs are as follows:
CPU: 9th Gen i5-9600k
Motherboard: Aorus Intel Z390
Ram: 2x8gb Viper Ram
SSD/HDD: intel M.2, NVMe
GPU: GTX 1070
PSU: 700w
Case: Inwin 301

Mine are:
CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K
Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Elite AC
Ram: 4x16 GB HyperX RAM
SSD/HDD: intel M.2, NVMe
GPU: GTX 1650 XC Ultra
PSU: 750w
Case: Inwin 303

I meant version of Windows 10. We're currently on 20H2 as the latest version for Windows 10(regardless of which license copy you chose). Yeah, your system's could benefit from a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit at the very least.

Per your question about the fidelity of your game, take a look at this hierarchy chart. Your GTX1650 can be compared to a GTX1050 or a little lower than a GTX1060. That being said, you might want to use DDU to remove the drivers and reinstall with the latest drivers from Nvidia's site but I doubt your GPU will give you anything better.

Dec 11, 2020
Visit site
We’re both up to date with our version of Windows 10. Thanks for the link to the benchmark chart, that definitely makes more sense now.

I have the latest drivers from Nvidia. Would you recommend using DDU every time I update? Or just if there’s an issue.

Thanks for all the help!

TRENDING THREADS