Totally new to PC building - how good is this setup?

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
So basically I've decided I want to build my own gaming PC, but I am totally new to the whole thing. I've read some articles and advice, etc. and picked out some components that I guess in theory should work.

As I say, I'm totally new to this but I thought I'd ask the community if this setup would work, and if not, why and what can I do to fix it? Then at least I kind of have a starting point to work from.

I'm not sure about the processor/graphics card combo. I'm not sure if it's the case that it's not worth getting that graphics card without getting a better processor based on some of the system requirements for games that I've looked at, but again, not sure at all.

My budget is I guess sort of mid-range. Like I don't have huge amounts of money to spend but at the same time I don't want to get something that's going to be outdated within a year. That being said, if anyone can see an obvious place to save some money here, that would be nice!

So based on all of that, this is what I've gone with for the moment: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QfmggJ

Any advice would be gratefully received! :giggle:

For ease of reference:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£195.00 @ Technextday)
CPU Cooler: Corsair A70 61 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£169.48 @ Technextday)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£94.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card (£249.97 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£67.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Currys PC World)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Asus VG248QG 24.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz Monitor (£229.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £1273.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-07 21:30 BST+0100

Why the 2 SSDs?

Reactions: FreezerBurn
Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Why the 2 SSDs?

That's my bad, I think I added two by mistake.

Looking at other builds, the storage setup has thrown me a little. Other builds seem to have more than one storage option, either more than one SSD or a combination of HDDs and SSDs (unless I'm misunderstanding, which is entirely possible). So I'm not sure which storage setup to go for.

Easily done, I wondered if it was a case of adding 2 by mistake :)

Storage is just a question of what you need. And unlike most other components where you need to replace them, with storage you just add more if and when you need it.

There are some M.2 drives that are faster than Sata SSDs like the QVO and very little more expensive.

My main comments with the build are:

i5 9600k is now last-gen Intel. Newer gen i5 10600k would make a lot more sense, for additional performance and being more futureproof - or a Ryzen 5 3600 _ B450/B550 mobo would also make more sense, being a lot less expensive and giving similar performance.

A mini ITX motherboard is rarely the best choice when alternatives are available.

Spec Delta case has poor airflow and should be avoided. iCUE 220T Airflow perhaps?

Consider the AMD RX 5600 XT which is overall better than the 1660 Super and available for a similar price.

What games are you looking to play?

Reactions: Frindis

TRENDING THREADS