Question Too much cached memory

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
Idk why but windows is caching all my ram. If i let my pc on idle, even when i start my pc, and not touch anything. It take 12-13gb of ram in cache. And the pc is very laggy too, is not just dispaying wrong numbers.
Idk how to fix it.

Look in your Power Management settings.
'Put computer to sleep' should be set to a 'reasonable' interval—eg 1 hour.

In Advanced Power settings:
Change the power plan to 'High performance'.
'Turn off Hard Disk after' should not be 1 minute, mine is 20 minutes.
Check the settings under 'Sleep' section—turn off 'Allow hybrid sleep'; 'Sleep after' and 'Hibernate after' should be 'reasonable, eg an hour or more.

It sounds like 'hibernation' behavior, where Windows copies RAM contents to disk to enable very quick resumption.

How much free space is available on your system disk? Windows needs extra free space to do its hidden work comfortably.

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
Did all the above
Look in your Power Management settings.
'Put computer to sleep' should be set to a 'reasonable' interval—eg 1 hour.

In Advanced Power settings:
Change the power plan to 'High performance'.
'Turn off Hard Disk after' should not be 1 minute, mine is 20 minutes.
Check the settings under 'Sleep' section—turn off 'Allow hybrid sleep'; 'Sleep after' and 'Hibernate after' should be 'reasonable, eg an hour or more.

It sounds like 'hibernation' behavior, where Windows copies RAM contents to disk to enable very quick resumption.

How much free space is available on your system disk? Windows needs extra free space to do its hidden work comfortably.
Did all the above. Nothing changed, after one hour sitting at almost 10 gb cached.
And yeah, i have 700gb left on the disk.

Nothing changed
Bummer :(

Next possibility is that 'Disk Write Caching' is malfunctioning. This is where data is temp stored in RAM as a staging area before being written to disk—it's to boost performance. Maybe your RAM is not completing the 'write to disk' part of the operation properly. Try this:

In Device Manager expand the Disk Drives section. Double click your HD and select the Policies tab. Untick the box for 'Enable write caching…'

I hope that's it, I don't expect to come up with any further suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS