Thinking on keybinding changes

So, here is the thing. I was watching a video of Viva la Dirt League (is not what is sound like, check on youtube) and they mentioned this change of swapping Q and E when leaning. I was curious and look it up (because what would I do instead? work? hell no). So, apparently it takes some time to get used to (as every change I guess) but gives the advantage of allowing to move a corner AND lean at the same time without recurring to *shivers* toggling.

Being an old gamer and just hobbyist I never gave a second thought to the usual keybinding (except rare exceptions) but this sounds quite interesting to give it shot, actually. Also, since I was in it, read about other interesting changes, that instead of WASD use ESDF; practically the same but one key to the right but it would allow for more keys. I'll be testing these changes as soon I can seat on my gaming rig. Anyway, what is your experience with changes from "traditional" keybinding? what other changes you'd recommend I should try?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zloth

Community Contributor
So, apparently it takes some time to get use to (as every change i guess) but gives the advantage of allowing to move a corner AND lean at the same time without recurring to *shivers* toggling.
So you lean the way you're sliding? Couldn't you just mash both keys down together with one finger?

There's talk about ESDF in this (rather long) article: https://www.pcgamer.com/how-wasd-became-the-standard-pc-control-scheme/

Do NOT trust The Wes Configuration, though! ;)

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I'm tempted to try ESDF because so often after I take my hand away from WASD when I put it back my fingers land on ESDF. The number of times I've gone to walk forwards and pressed the lean or interact button instead are ridiculous.

I have tried using ESDF a couple of times over the last decade, but I always go back to WASD. I tend to add at least two keybinds to the mouse side buttons, and that way I have most of the important stuff pretty close to my fingers.

TRENDING THREADS