The retro video game market crashing

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ0GdGkZ5PM

After watching Karl Jobst's latest (The same guy who is doing a lawsuit against Billy Mitchell) video about this thread's topic, I'm happy about the drop in price, but also wondering a bit how long it would take before the prices go back to normal. Do you guys think that is even realistic? Can we even talk about what is a legit price for a rare game when we have artificial market manipulations done between larger graders and auction houses? In Karls's latest video, you'll see that some of the graded games dropped their price from anything between 50-90% and some even more just after two years of this whole controversy.

The drop in price seems to be great for the collectors who really love to collect and want to collect more games. I am curious though if collectors will ever be able to trust the market. Perhaps it is naive to think so in the first place since market manipulation is normal. Do any of you collect games, and have them graded? If so, would be interesting to hear your thoughts also.

If you want to binge the videos that stirred the hornet's nest and that brought up what could possibly be a breach of the Federal Trade Commission Act, then I have some videos more about the topic here, here, or here. Right now there is an ongoing class action lawsuit against Wata Gaming, a grading company. PC Gamer also got an article about that: https://www.pcgamer.com/lawsuit-aga...ta-alleges-manipulation-of-retro-game-prices/

I only casually collect games and haven't bought any for a few years now, mostly because I have Everdrives at this point, but it's fun to pick up a game now and then. Plus I think it's fun for my kids to have the experience of changing out carts for the few systems I have.

At any rate, I'm eager to watch this video (been keeping up with the Billy Mitchell saga) and hopeful that this is the truth. Been thinking of picking up an N64 and a few games for a bit now, so that when my kids start having sleepovers, they can have some 90s multiplayer goodness with their friends...

Not to shock and unawe people, but I've thrown away every console and console game I ever owned, and that's a significant number of both.

Also, we have a massive used book store in town that sells shelf after shelf of old console games for a couple dollars apiece. Possibly someone who knew what they were doing could make a killing going through all those games, but I'm guessing people have already done that and cleared out the valuable games.

My daughter makes most of her money while in college by going to thrift stores and buying stuff to sell on Ebay. I think the best one she did might be the Game of Thrones chess set that she bought for $8 and sold for around $250.

I only casually collect games and haven't bought any for a few years now, mostly because I have Everdrives at this point, but it's fun to pick up a game now and then. Plus I think it's fun for my kids to have the experience of changing out carts for the few systems I have.
I have a couple of boxed ones laying around and some games for PS2 and Atari 520ST. Hardly think anything is valuable, but at least most are in good condition.
(been keeping up with the Billy Mitchell saga)
That saga is a blast to follow. Does not look good for him, not at all.
Been thinking of picking up an N64 and a few games for a bit now, so that when my kids start having sleepovers, they can have some 90s multiplayer goodness with their friends...
That is pretty cool:)

Also, we have a massive used book store in town that sells shelf after shelf of old console games for a couple dollars apiece. Possibly someone who knew what they were doing could make a killing going through all those games, but I'm guessing people have already done that and cleared out the valuable games.
Would not be shocked if that was true. I watched a video once where several people were running around with phone apps searching the items and such. Without those, you'd need a lot of knowledge just to scout the sale and jump straight at the golden ones.
My daughter makes most of her money while in college by going to thrift stores and buying stuff to sell on Ebay. I think the best one she did might be the Game of Thrones chess set that she bought for $8 and sold for around $250.
That is a win sale!:)

i use to take pride in my gaming collection but i realized i was running out of space for them and then the epiphany was that having all these games doing nothing seems a bit pointless/waste. The line between a collector and trash is surprisingly thin.

That said even when i had purchased games its crazy to pay huge amounts for the games. honestly, i'll be just greatful to experience them and move on.

The line between a collector and trash is surprisingly thin.
Reminds me of a recent hoarder. She walked around with the camera crew all proud and when they came to the kitchen she said "This is my favorite place, I love to cook food" and all you see is tons of garbage and no spot for cooking at all. Obviously an extreme example, but yeah, surprisingly thin.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Old game prices are friggin' nuts. I remember running into that several years ago when I decided I wanted to get Final Fantasy 7 for my PS2 some years after having a ton of fun with it on PC. The prices were nuts! $200+!? But I kept my eyes open and eventually found it for just $10 or some such.

Do you want Shadowhearts: Covenant for PS2? $130 on Amazon. $245 more if you want the strategy guide. It's a fun game - I highly recommend it, but not for those prices!

I guess these are collectors' items, still in their wrapping. The game really doesn't even need to be in those things - people would never open one as that would ruin the value! I wonder how many of them have warped disks inside that aren't even usable at this point.

Sep 24, 2023
Visit site
Not to shock and unawe people, but I've thrown away every console and console game I ever owned, and that's a significant number of both.

you throw away consoles and console games?

TRENDING THREADS