Zloth

Community Contributor
Paizo (which makes the Pathfinder system) posted on their blog that they are going to use an open license for their system. (You might have to scroll down a bit to the post - it was made on Jan 12th.)

Hasbro is looking at their license again before releasing it:

Last edited:
The D&D OGL was what Tactical Adventures used to make Solasta Crown of the Magistar, so I'm concerned how it's going to affect them going forward. They did an excellent job with Solasta, but now with the final DLC released, they're moving forward (or were) to the next Solasta game. I'm hoping this won't have a negative impact on the next game they make.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
From the statement:
The next OGL will contain the provisions that allow us to protect and cultivate the inclusive environment we are trying to build and specify that it covers only content for TTRPGs. That means that other expressions, such as educational and charitable campaigns, livestreams, cosplay, VTT-uses, etc., will remain unaffected by any OGL update. Content already released under 1.0a will also remain unaffected.
TTRPG being Table Top RPG. Sounds like computer games have nothing to worry about.

I've read some quotes from the CEO's of Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro saying they think D&D is under monetized and they want to create a "recurrent spending environment". They saw how successful the GaaS model is and they're trying to do the same with D&D, which requires more control over the content. So I suspect more shenanigans in the future as they try different ways to get people into this "recurrent spending environment".

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
Now that D&D is mainstream again due to ST, Wizards of course will squeeze all the juice out of it.
I miss the times when playing D&D was felt like an initiation ritual. Nevertheless, I understand this is a business, hey if D&D has survived until today is because of that, isn't it. Let's allow Wizards play with their OGL (for now) and observe results.

Some years ago, I'd have gone mad, but, u know, I don't care anymore. I've found a tabletop game a waaay more fun than D&D (my younger me hates me right now).

Zloth

Community Contributor
ST = ??
Some years ago, I'd have gone mad, but, u know, I don't care anymore. I've found a tabletop game a waaay more fun than D&D (my younger me hates me right now).
That's been easy since the 80's. In fact, PC Gamer just posted an article listing a bunch of them. The trick is overcoming the ubiquitousness. When you get a new group together, often times there will be people that know how to play other games, but everybody knows how to play D&D. So you play that.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS