That Pesky Computer Virus

Once upon a time, a long time ago I was playing Simon The Sorcerer. I was having a good time, then the strangest thing happened: Around my character I suddenly noticed tiny, tiny green dragons flying around, breathing fire. I could move the character, but as far as I remember, I could not do much else. The dragons would just circle around my character and it was just the weirdest thing ever. I have tried to look it up, but have not managed to find any name for the virus or any mention of a small dragon in the game for that sake, in case there actually was some. Since I don't know it's name, I shall name it: *drumroll* Dragooooons!

How about you, what type of virus did you get infected with that made you scratch your head, laugh or get slightly annoyed?

Not meaning to say you don't have a legit copy of the game, but that kinda reminds me more of what devs use in some games called "hooks", to thwart pirates. What happens is they let you play a pirated copy until the point where they think you're hooked on the game, then stop you cold with something they throw in that impedes progress. It's typically something comical in nature too.

So what did you end up doing about it, did you get it sorted out somehow, and if so, how?

Reactions: Frindis
Good questions:) This was back in the early '90s and I reckon there is a chance of it not being legit as a lot of games circulated in the neighborhood through floppy disks. As for the "hooks" you mentioned, I do not think it was that sophisticated back then. I did finish the game (an excellent adventure game I have to mention) so perhaps I found a way around the problem.

Not meaning to say you don't have a legit copy of the game, but that kinda reminds me more of what devs use in some games called "hooks", to thwart pirates. What happens is they let you play a pirated copy until the point where they think you're hooked on the game, then stop you cold with something they throw in that impedes progress. It's typically something comical in nature too.

So what did you end up doing about it, did you get it sorted out somehow, and if so, how?

That reminds me of Sacred Gold, which has a feature where if you use cheats to improve a character and export that character, it gets a bunny costume.

TRENDING THREADS