Question Suggest me a good SSD for a Desktop PC

I just checked my nearby webshops and found out that the closest shop has Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD, it would cost me around $175. Would you say it's a good deal or should I keep searching for a 1tb samsung 870 evo?

COLGeek

What are the specs for your system (make/model of all installed components)?

A good 1TB SATA SSD should be around $100. The 980 Pro is expensive when you can get a 970 EVO nvme for about $100.

The 980 Pro is impressive, but as the video above attests, you won't see any practical difference in performance. Benchmarking, yes, but not in actual user noticeable performance.

For $175, you could get a 2TB Samsung SATA (2.5 inch) SSD.

Reactions: technomadic_rony
I have the following hardware specs:
Processor: Intel Core-i7 7700k
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: Corsair 16gb 3200Mhz 2x
SSD: Kingston KC3000 1024GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD

You're right about the video showcasing the difference, it doesn't seem like a lot.

I looked around a bit and none of the webshops near me is selling the 2TB Samsung SATA SSD.

^ You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. Looking at the processor in your specs(and assuming the platform you're on right now), it's very likely your SSD is operating at PCIe 3.0...meaning lost potential. To that end, investing in another PCIe 4.0 SSD is just a waste of crucial financing in this day and age. You're going to be best off investing in a 2.5" top tier SSD to house all your games on it.

You're going to be best off investing in a 2.5" top tier SSD to house all your games on it.

Thanks for the elaborate answer. Now I'll definitely buy a 2.5 SSD for storing my games and from the previous comments, I'm thinking about going with Samsung EVO series.

Thank you everyone for the valuable insights, I really appreciate it.

A good 1TB SATA SSD should be around $100
This.

Might even be cheaper in one of the big sales—I got my 1TB for $86 3 years ago in May 2019. The same brand is currently under $70 for another 7 hours, and 2TB for $130 at Newegg.

SSD: Kingston KC3000 1024GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD
Why not make that the gaming one, and buy say 256GB for OS & software?

Or do you not have a HDD for data?

Reactions: technomadic_rony
Why not make that the gaming one, and buy say 256GB for OS & software?

I used to have a 256GB Transcend SSD for my OS and a Toshiba 2TB HDD for my office/entertainment stuff. Last year, I gave those away to my younger cousin and bought this Kingston one as my Toshiba 2TB wasn't really getting any use.

I recently started torrenting some old TV shows that I used to love in High Quality format which takes up relatively lots of space. That's why I was thinking maybe I should buy a different SSD for my entertainment stuff and keep the Kingston one for my office work and OS/Softwares.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I just checked my nearby webshops and found out that the closest shop has Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD, it would cost me around $175. Would you say it's a good deal or should I keep searching for a 1tb samsung 870 evo?
well, the evo is only an ssd and would likely be cheaper than the nvme. The main benefits of an nvme now is read speed, and they better used as boot drives. AS video shows, the load times isn't that massive between ssd and nvme so not worth using one just for games. Not if ssd are still cheaper.

I have a 970 Evo plus nvme 1tb as boot drive and some games, and a 3tb hdd that was going to be for games but is mostly empty now. If I needed more space I would buy an ssd and put it on as well. Or another nvme since mb has 2 PCIe 4 slots, and I am only using one of them. I was originally only going to use 2 NVMe but the hdd was cheaper option.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS