Question Starting time issue

Jun 12, 2024
Visit site
Hey guys, i have bought a new pc: ryzen 7 7700x, rx 6800, ssd 2tb m.2, 32gb ram 5600, MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI and I am happy with it. My problem is just need 1 minute to start it. Maybe enable memory context restore? I don't know.. do you have hints? And do you like my setup? Regards, Patrick

One minute start is normal on dual monitor? That doesn't seem right.

Glad I only have one then as I turn PC on and have about enough time to sit down and monitor is already showing the BIOS flash screen. Startup is 15 seconds.
And my PC isn't running a 7700X

If I am too slow to logon my screen will turn off.

did op try with just one attached? How are the two monitors attached?

Reactions: Brian Boru
It shouldn't take a new PC with an NVMe drive 1 minute to get to the login screen.

I haven't timed mine myself but its not that slow now. That is about as long as my old PC used to load windows from an ssd. And that was going to desktop.

Slow to logon screen makes it look like hardware not responding to bios fast enough.

Curious what the BIOS start time shows in Task manager/Startup apps as that shows how long it took BIOS to pass control to windows. In my case its 11.2 Seconds.

Obvious question: Are both monitor attached to GPU, not attached to motherboard backplate instead. GPU would be right place, just checking :)

But memory shouldn't need to retrain on every boot. Or cold boot. I mean, mine never does.
It should do that once after a bios update or when its installed. Then bios should know values.

If its forgetting each time it could mean the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. As it is what saves the settings for the BIOS.

But memory shouldn't need to retrain on every boot. Or cold boot. I mean, mine never does.
It should do that once after a bios update or when its installed. Then bios should know values.

If its forgetting each time it could mean the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. As it is what saves the settings for the BIOS.
It does when MCR is off on AM5

Reactions: Colif
Seems it is the case on MSI boards anyway, other boards don't necessarily need it enabled

If you’re like me with an MSI motherboard and “intel-optimized” teamgroup RAM googling around for how to deal with overwhelming POST times, I wanted to share with you the process I went through:

enable XMP >> 129 seconds to post but RAM runs at advertised speed (6000mhz in my case)
I have a Ryzen chipset so disable XMP enable EXPO >> 131 seconds to post
With XMP off, set frequency to 6000 manuallly >> 126 seconds to post
✔️Enable memory context restore with Power Down >> Win! 14 seconds to post and at full speed.
Simply don’t enable memory context restore >> nope haha I did
Learn how to overclock/add some volts for stability >> not today

seems need to change 2 things in BIOS or may get BSOD just turning MCR on.
The thread has a link to an explanation of other command in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm
i didn't even know about it so its perhaps handy to know about in future when I upgrade. Someone I know with a 7800x3d didn't suggest it so I know its not all boards. His startup speed about same as mine is and has two monitors.

Might have to try to remember it for next year... i won't though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts