Question SSD

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I am trying to upgrade my oldish pc for better gaming and general use. My PC currently has a 1.5T hard drive. I am on a tight budget, and I mostly use my PC for simple pc stuff, like surfing the web, youtube, and gaming. I was wondering if I need an SSD for better gaming and general use.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
An SSD wil certainly improve performance mainly noticable in how fast your PC starts and how fast programs start.

If you don't plan to install games you'd probably get away with 240gb. Not sure if I'd recommend 120, it's a bit too small to mt liking.

Reactions: Frindis

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I am trying to upgrade my oldish pc for better gaming and general use. My PC currently has a 1.5T hard drive. I am on a tight budget, and I mostly use my PC for simple pc stuff, like surfing the web, youtube, and gaming. I was wondering if I need an SSD for better gaming and general use.

As pointed by Inspireless Llama, buying an SSD will improve performance significantly. I'm using SSDs for 8 years and can't imagine switching back to standard HDD. Most of the SSDs are reliable these days, but I'd recommend Samsung or Crucial. These two are well known for their quality and durability. If you want to install games on your SSD, 512 GB is almost a must. For system only usage you can go for 256 GB. It'll also allow you to install a game or two, but this may change when the next gen games will come out.

Reactions: Frindis
You say you have an old PC. Can you tell us what Motherboard you have?

Just if has an M.2 socket you could put in a much faster SSD. Although these are more expensive than an older 2.5 inch SATA SSD the speed is much faster.

E.g at Scan.co.uk at the moment you have
If your budget is really tight you could go for a 256gb SATA SSD which would cost between £40-£50. If you play a lot of modern games the higher capacity is worth it as some new games have install sizes of >100gb.

TRENDING THREADS