Specific Game Location or Setup you can't resist

Companion thread: Specific Game Situations or Settings you don't like

Do you have special game situations that are siren calls to you?
I'm admittedly a total sucker for any game where you're alone on a space station going to sh*t
Give me a richly populated open world with mountains to climb, which change vegetation and wildlife as the elevation increases towards their snow-capped summit.

Another one is a big ancient temple in the mould of Lara Croft and Indiana Jones. Not the whole game of course, but a big mission like that hits the spot.

How about you?

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Nah. Space, fantasy, old west, modern times - that doesn't matter to me all that much. What I do like better are prettier environments, though. I'll take the beautiful mountains of Skyrim over the stark browns of Fallout most any day.

Weird environments are a big plus, too. Something Escher-like, floating islands, and other unexpected things sound great to me.
Give me a richly populated open world with mountains to climb....
Richly populated by.... quests? Landmarks?

Medieval settings are my jam. Castles, kings and queens, knights in shining armour, little villages where everyone knows everyone and no one has travelled further than the next town over except for the eccentric old guy living on the edge of town, I love it all.

I also love worldbuilding as it pertains to society. I love writers exploring how society adapts to different things, like magic in fantasy or technology in sci-fi. I also love modern settings with a hidden world or a massive conspiracy and seeing how the writers explain how most of the world doesn't know about it. I know the modern parts of Assassin's Creed are unloved by a lot of gamers, but that was the best part of the first game for me and was what got me hooked on the series.

Give me a richly populated open world with mountains to climb, which change vegetation and wildlife as the elevation increases towards their snow-capped summit.

Another one is a big ancient temple in the mould of Lara Croft and Indiana Jones. Not the whole game of course, but a big mission like that hits the spot.
Man you hit the nail on the head for me. Those scenes are probably my two favorites, too. If your taste in game settings is that good, you can't possibly really like turn-based games!

For me, there are 3 game situations or settings that really attract my interest: the fantasy/medieval setting, the post-apocalyptic setting, and the space/sci-fi setting. I love all those settings and it would be difficult for me to place any one of those above the others. I'll have mood swings where I favor one of those settings for a few weeks or months, and then have a desire to be in one of the other ones. But those are the 3 game settings that always call to me.

Even older games with dated graphics can be beautiful to me, as well as immersive and fun to explore. The desolate and ruined landscapes of the Fallout games can evoke as much emotion as the mountain vistas of Skyrim, for me at least. Game companions can be an immersive call to me as well, such as the companions of the Baldur's Gate games that @SleepingDog mentioned, or the characters from the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games.

I was thinking people—enemies, allies, NPCs—and wildlife both friendly and predator. But yeah, I love stumbling across hidden settlements or caves, or climbing to that lookout tower or old hill-top garrison.
You give a partial description of Skyrim, but from what I remember you haven't played it (?), or maybe it was because you didn't like melee combat (?). Exploring and stumbling across settlements, NPCs, wildlife, caves, ruins is the heart of Skyrim. No two playthroughs are the same, ever. Plus, you can build an archer or mage type character and rarely ever have to engage in hand-to-hand combat; and no check-point saves or QTEs either.

If your taste in game settings is that good
I used to be quite proud of it.
Then I discovered it's very like yours… :(

you can't possibly really like turn-based games
You obviously are unaware that real-time games are also turn based—the main difference is that you miss a lot of your turns depending on your APS rate :p

Game companions can be an immersive call to me as well
Yes, I've gotten to like their presence too as a piece of game color, as long as they're unobtrusive and autonomous unless directly commanded—ie squads are not for me.

Skyrim … you haven't played it … didn't like melee combat … build an archer or mage
Haven't played it, but have owned it a long time and is on radar. I can do melee if the rest of the game compensates—eg Far Cry Primal—but definitely need better tactical choices, and a ranged character would be my choice for the game to hold my interest for more than a few hours.

Zloth

Community Contributor
You have a good point there. Darn it! You just ruined all of gaming for me!
Oh, it's so much worse! Ever hear of Planck time? Physics just flat out doesn't work between ticks of the Planck clock. It's as if reality only exists in flashes. There's about 10^44 flashes per second, but still.... it seems to me that reality is, in fact, turn based. Happy Halloween!

Oh, it's so much worse! Ever hear of Planck time? Physics just flat out doesn't work between ticks of the Planck clock. It's as if reality only exists in flashes. There's about 10^44 flashes per second, but still.... it seems to me that reality is, in fact, turn based. Happy Halloween!
Here's my theory. Reality is just one still frame that never moves. The reason we feel like reality is moving forward in time and constantly in motion is because we're constantly jumping between parallel worlds, each one is the next still frame in the sequence.

There's many places I enjoy going to in games. Driving on the winding hill roads out of Los Santos.

Heading for the Frozen Wilds in HZD, with it's Demonic Polar bears and the Werak tribes.

I also like the Oakland gang area in WD2 as well as sailing in the bay.

Reality is just one still frame that never moves … parallel worlds, each one is the next still frame in the sequence
When you get back from therapy, please edit that to remove the contradiction—some of our members branes [yeah, that's what membranes are] could get stuck between planes, which only leaves more mess for mods to clean up.

Think of your post as one still frame, then it's a piece of cake, right?
:D

TRENDING THREADS