Question Shut up and take my money! Games you buy DLC for on sight

McStabStab

Community Contributor
My favorite city builder, Cities: Skylines, is releasing DLC for vehicle aesthetics, a map pack, two radio stations, and a content pack for airport customization tonight. As always, these are offered as paid DLC packs (we're talking about Paradox here). Me, being the sucker that I am, buy these DLC packs on release as each give me a reason to try building out a new city, completely from scratch, so that I can prepare appropriately for the new content and plan how it fits into it's layout.

Do you have games in your library that you gobble up new content for? I must be well into the hundreds of dollars with all the C:S DLC I have.

I sound like a broken record at this point but...TA DA... DESTINY 2!! Every time theres an expansion i pick it up without thinking about it. This also includes a copy for my wife since we play Destiny together. Its become more of an obligation since i run a clan and want to be there for the newbies but its still mostly my interest in the game.

I originally didn't buy Destiny 2 actually, it was gifted to me and my wife along with the first DLC, but with that being said we have (i have) pretty much paid for everything they've released since (~5 years worth of content). I also have purchased my fair share of cosmetics in the game outside of the expansions and season passes too.

Now if the question was something like... what is the next game you are going to spend a good chunk of money on w/o too much hesitation is....Lost Ark. Already bought their highest paid "pack" for when it releases and i feel like ill be the same way with all their other content to come like i am with Destiny.

Good thing i only do this for these 2 games, i tend to not buy DLC for much else, i usually wait for a sale unless its something i really wanted.

There are several games that I've purchased all, or most of, the DLC for: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, Dragon Age 1-3, Mass Effect 1-3, The Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, and The Outer Worlds. There are probably a few others, but those are the games that I've purchased most or all of publisher released DLC (which is undoubtably in the hundreds of dollars as well).

What I don't, or rarely, purchase are DLCs that are cosmetic, or weapon/armor packs that kind of thing. I'm really only interested in story based DLCs, or ones that add a new companion with a story, or maybe a new area to explore; or any combination of the above.

Financially, it's probably better to wait for a Game of the Year Edition of a game that includes all DLC a couple years down the road, but if I'm really into a certain game, I don't have the patience to wait for that, I'll jump on the DLC as soon as it releases.

I'll buy the DLC as part of some bundle for the complete/GotY/Gold/Director's Cut edition
Yep, that's me too mostly. I wait for the bugs to be as fixed as they're going to be, all DLC out, and the best mods updated if necessary for the final version—and then a good discount in one of the big sales.

Apart from a big price advantage for the games themselves, I also don't have to worry about expensive hardware upgrades to get a good experience.

If I had the money I probably would've bought all the DLC for Civilization VI immediately. My wife and I spent a lot of time in Civ V and haven't really been able to make the switch to Civ VI because it feels like there's just a bunch of stuff missing. I probably would have bought all the DLC for Warhammer 2 as well.

Reactions: Krud and ZedClampet
I probably would've bought all the DLC for Civilization VI immediately
Hmm, what does "immediately" mean in your language? :D

I waited 5 years after release to be sure all the expansions & DLC were in place, and then bought the lot in one of Steam's sales—probably last summer's. Clever choice, huh?

Nope. I just had a peek, I am currently missing 8 DLCs. Yes, EIGHT, released 5-6 years after release. I wonder when will the trickle stop?

It's too many for me to list. I bought all the DLC for Total War Warhammer 1 and 2 (the DLC for 1 work in 2), theHunter: Call of the Wild, Conan Exiles, Farming Simulator 19, and Forza Horizon 3 and 4. (Oh, and the Car Mechanic games, too)

I used all of those DLC extensively. They really extended the life of those games for me. The DLC for TWW1and2 will be playable in 3, as well.

I'd buy DLC for Satisfactory if only there were some available. I hope that when they leave early access that they'll have a second map that they offer.

None of these games offer things like outfits as DLC. I wouldn't pay a dime for those. These are all significant expansions. The only game I ever bought cosmetics in was Warframe, and I never spent real money on them. I traded blueprints to other players who gave me the credits you can normally only get through real money. You just go farm a Warframe's 3 blueprints and then hang out in this one place with the blueprints listed for sale, and people will give you over $20 for them. Same thing if you level some good mods up, like Serration. I was so obsessed with the game, I always had an inventory filled with stuff people would pay real money for.

The most recent example was probably XCOM 2 In fact that game technically pulled the trick on my 3 times!

XCOM 2 is announced. I took part in a competition called gameaday on a small website and i bagged XCOM 2 Collectors edition so i bagged all the DLC that came with it.

Then WOTC comes out. ha! I'm in no rush to get it. I've beaten XCOM 2 twice already. I can wait till it drops in price. ... Then comes the tactical legacy pack. Which made an offer that was far too tempting. So i buckled and bagged the DLC AND the expansion pack. Enjoyed it all.

Surely i'm done with XCOM series? Well, then comes chimera squad. now, its a standalone game but again, a massive discount upon release? One time opportunity? God damn! I love XCOM series and a continuation of XCOM 2?! I bought that as well. Normally i would wait and play games after finishing some of the older collection. Not this time! i justify my purchase and play it immediately (luck was with me i just finished another game). Absolutely worth it.

can't wait for XCOM 3. If it ever arrives.

Did you get the Blood for the Blood God DLC?

Yeah. I forgot all about that one. When I got into Warhammer 2 and found out all the DLC from the first one carried over, it was during the summer sale, and I bought all of them. I remember the description of that DLC said something about generating random events in the campaign that would create extra carnage or something. I never figured out what that meant because you have to activate it in the graphics options, and I never did.

Reactions: Krud and Pifanjr
the description of that DLC said something about generating random events in the campaign that would create extra carnage or something. I never figured out what that meant because you have to activate it in the graphics options, and I never did.

I hadn't noticed that before. From what I could find it's just the occasional bonus to a combat stat before battle though.

Reactions: Krud and ZedClampet
Oh yeah! The War of the Chosen DLC! (checks Steam achievements) Nope, I played the DLC two years after it released.

@Johnway - time to play the Long War of the Chosen mod?

Not for a while got a massive backlog of games to play. Might go back to the xcom enemy unknown again as i did buy the DLC many years ago but never got round to playing. Plus i only played it on normal so i might do a harder game instead.

I don't really ever buy DLC. The only games I have DLC for are games that came out with a later edition that included the DLC. Like my two favorite games are Skyrim and Breath of the Wild. I bought the Special Edition of Skyrim that came with the DLC. As for BotW, I really love that game, but I never cared to pay for the DLC. I just don't care about it.

Believe it or not, I am still slowly coming around on DLC. I mean, I have a TON of it, but most of it was either a reeeally good sale, or was part of a GOTY edition or Collector's Edition or whatever else. I've always loved full-fledged expansion packs and would buy them without question. (In my mind, Bloodmoon, Tribunal, Shivering Isles, etc. aren't "DLC", especially since most of them I bought on physical media at first). I still remember cringing the first time Dragon Age Origins wanted me to pay to download a questline mid-game. So there's still a part of me that futily rails against the now totally accepted method of releasing game content.

All that being said, I gladly bought up all the DLC that I could afford for Civ V back in the day. And I probably would have for Civ VI if I could have convinced more of my friends to play it.

And by the time Mass Effect 3 came along, I wanted as much of that additional story content as I could, though the best DLC by far there (in my opinion) was The Citadel.

But yeah, other than that, I tend to wait on DLC. Especially since it usually takes me a while to get through even the non-DLC content. (I own the White Marches DLC for Pillars of Eternity, but haven't played them.)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS