Should we daily clean the pc?

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
I have this problem in my mind, i have been cleaning my pc like once a week. It is not a deep clean. I just clean the fans with a tissue that's it.
Does it make any difference or should I just deep clean the whole pc once every 2 years by taking it to a pc cleaning place??

Once a week is almost surely too often. How often depends entirely on where the PC is located. On a carpet floor with a lot of people passing by, incl hairy cats & dogs, and a fair breeze—that's probably a monthly clean.

On the opposite side, I only clean mine whenever I have another reason to open the case—eg changing a part. Sits 1m-4' off a wood floor near the side wall, no kids or pets or other traffic. Easily 2 years since I've cleaned it.

You can clean PC yourself with a bit of knowledge, no need for professional work. An expert will be along soon with better advice, I'm sure :)

Last edited:
I wipe the whole PC/screen/K&M/mat down externally about once a week with a damp cloth to remove dust and sweat. But although it's off the ground, this room is carpeted.

I vacuum hose the front filters, then tie the vacuum hose internally and blow the dust off all fans, radiators and circuits with a small compressor every six months.

I think it definitely extends the life of components, but as said it depends on your room and set up.
You'll soon get a feel for how much dust is building up and how often it needs doing. It's just personal choice really.

I think ASUS sell a teflon coated circuit board, which is dust proof(or they used to).

Reactions: Brian Boru
I have my PC facing an open window, it gets cooler air than I do... mainly as it faces away from me, and is between me and the window (for a long time, every unknown noise was thought to possibly be the PC and I would have to get up and walk to window to make sure noise was outside and not PC. I am used to it now). The distance between an open window and front of the PC is only a few feet. Nothing blocking the air besides my curtains.

I know that really has nothing to do with dust but it means its getting the freshest air in my room so it helps.
I have my PC on a box to keep it off floor, another way to stop dust getting sucked in. Also helps with air flow.

Its 2 years old and I have only had the front off it once to clean dust from that filter. I have more exhaust fans than intakes so really, dust builds up on the exhaust fans and the filter on intake fans has an easy life. Probably need to blow some air through my radiator. Pretty easy to clean the exhausts too, just take top of case off.

for a long time, every unknown noise was thought to possibly be the PC and I would have to get up and walk to window to make sure noise was outside and not PC
Ah, those were the days…

Pssst
Colif gets up, walks to window, checks air cooling.
Remembers… this is how it's supposed to be.

Eek
Colif gets up, walks to garage, gets oil can, lubricates roller mouse.

Meow
Colif gets up, walks to window, checks Cat cable.

Woof
Colif gets up, walks to window, checks bass output on sound system.

Unexpected rain
Colif gets up, walks to window, checks AIO.
Closes window, wrings out curtain.

Help!
Colif gets up, walks to window …remembers… checks New Posts.

• Haha
Reactions: Frindis and COLGeek
I have my PC facing an open window, it gets cooler air than I do... mainly as it faces away from me, and is between me and the window (for a long time, every unknown noise was thought to possibly be the PC and I would have to get up and walk to window to make sure noise was outside and not PC. I am used to it now). The distance between an open window and front of the PC is only a few feet. Nothing blocking the air besides my curtains.

I know that really has nothing to do with dust but it means its getting the freshest air in my room so it helps.
I have my PC on a box to keep it off floor, another way to stop dust getting sucked in. Also helps with air flow.

Its 2 years old and I have only had the front off it once to clean dust from that filter. I have more exhaust fans than intakes so really, dust builds up on the exhaust fans and the filter on intake fans has an easy life. Probably need to blow some air through my radiator. Pretty easy to clean the exhausts too, just take top of case off.
I've got one of those industrial fans pointing at me and PC. They really do produce quite a bit of heat. Plus my body heat rises when I'm intense gaming. There goes another glacier.

I think this PC must be about ten years old at least, with a couple of graphic card updates. 1060 6GB still playing games for hours. I even solved that Recon 3D sound card issue I had. Yes I've got two intakes(with filters) on an old Fractal case and three out fans.

I'm sure it must be possible to get the fans set up and air flow right to stop dust building up. Or build a clean room!

I got a vertical fan 2 years ago to help cool room and it hasn't been hot enough in the last 2 years to actually use it. I have almost forgotten what it looks like, its been sitting wrapped in a plastic bag near my window for 2 years now.

So my choices are:
  • Play games in same room Western Digital builds hdd in...
  • Paint case white and suddenly can't see any dust - Shame case I have is black, and even if I bought the white model, that has a black mesh top... guess I could paint top.
  • Get old and not be able to see it without a camera... oh wait... well, I am half way.

Guess if I did play games on PC it would get warmer in here. but at idle the warmest the air blowing out back of case is approx 40c and doesn't stay there for long as putting hand near exhausts doesn't warm it a great deal

I got just a mesh filter, so I have to clean it every six months or so. Really depends on your tower, but once a week is way too much, and not necessarily if you do not live with ten cats and a couple of dogs who are fighting all the time. Instead of getting overcharged for having someone clean your PC, you can invest in something like this:

I got the same (IGLO) or a similar model and it is VERY GOOD for cleaning your PC and just about anything else in your living room. Much better than those air cans which can't clean for ****. Fast to charge and it last around 20 minutes at maximum speed, which will be more than enough for deep cleaning of your PC. Just remember to hold your fans steady (don't let them spin) and that you wear an antistatic wrist strap/mat or something similar, at least if you are touching a lot of stuff inside.

Last edited:
Yes I found out the hard way by letting my GPU fans spin using a hoover nozzle. Thankfully EVGA were very understanding.
I now just keep a finger lightly on the center while cleaning. I do use an anti-static wristband but I don't actually touch circuits.

It is amazing how much dust, which I believe is partly comprised of our own dead skin cells, builds up inside a GPU, on the edges of the blades and particularly inside the CPU radiator.

When I design my next PC, I'm definitely going to try to get air flow right with neutral air pressure and some large fans and maybe some finer mesh filters.

It's little design features that bug me. On this Fractal the usb/headphone sockets are on the top.

Out of interest has anyone played PC Building simulator? I haven't but wondered what you can do with it.
I just watched a vid and it just seemed to be about just building a virtual PC.

What would be really good. If they could develop it so you can design your own custom PC virtually. Test out all the components and make sure they are compatible, try different positions for parts within, place fans, test air flow virtually, etc.

Then run the virtual PC and see what it could do in terms of performance. When happy send the design to some automated robotic clean factory and it creates a real one for you. Delivered in three days.

• Love
has anyone played PC Building simulator?
Pick me, pick me!

Here are my couple of paras from then:

When I design my next PC, I'm definitely going to try to get air flow right with neutral air pressure and some large fans and maybe some finer mesh filters.
neutral is a hard balance
if on air cooling, better to go positive
If on AIO, do whatever you like... negative works for them.
I have more exhausts than intakes so I am negative but also use an AIO so it doesn't matter a lot.

Most cases set up for Positive, most only have filters on intake areas. Some Fractal models have it on top as well, hence reason I have to clean top occasionally or when I notice.

You always want filters, beats cleaning rest of PC if you just clean them instead. I wouldn't buy a case that doesn't have dust filters. Temped to buy a Lian LI again next time. 17 years ago I got a lian li and it had dust filters, it spoiled me and made me want good cases ever since. My case was the hardest part to choose with this PC as I didn't know what I wanted, previous PC I had known for years before.

Isn't there a 2nd version of PC Building SImulator? I haven't bothered looking much

TRENDING THREADS