• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Razbuten makes interesting videos. Yesterday he put out Should Games Be Frustrating? 21m, which aligns nicely with some topics we've had here recently. Have a look and see what you think.

I'm probably in the minority—the poll shall reveal!—being very much against frustration in games.

I'm still annoyed at one of the finest puzzle games, The Talos Principle, for one of its puzzles requiring an outside device—a smartphone—to solve it. I spent a long time on that one, because all the other puzzles in it rewarded exploring options, lateral thinking, 'I wonder if…' approaches. But that one puzzle was not gettable in similar ways to the rest. Grr, very frustrating, an abuse of the player imo.

Many of you will cite challenge and the sense of achievement in getting thru via learning, improvement and perseverance. Totally valid of course, but not what drives my gaming, not what makes it fun for me. I value those traits highly in real life, but not much in gaming. I want a level of challenge which makes it fun and interesting, but notone where I have to work—read slog, grind, repeat—for it.

Anyway, what's your take?