Set up a home wifi LAN?

May 10, 2020
Visit site
(I realize this may not actually involve any changes to my hardware but there's no "Software" section! :) )

I have a couple of games that are designed with multiplayer over LAN.
We have a few computers at home, all connecting to the same router for internet.

I know in Windows 7 it was relatively straightforward to set up a HomeGroup but they have taken this out of current Win10

Could you please advice on a good simple way to set up a home LAN over WiFi with both machines running Win10?

Thanks

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
Win10 still drops you into a default work group which should work fine for file sharing and gaming etc. Just check you have network discovery on and file sharing enabled. Should be as simple as clicking the network icon in file explorer or typing the pcname into the address. (With a file share setup)

Depends on the game though. Most modern ones should pick it up across the network without any drama.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Nothing of the like :)
We were trying to set up Borderlands GOTY+ over lan but actually impossible to do without an internet connection, as invitation of players has to go over Steam Chat (at least from what I've been able to find out myself - the documentation out there isn't very accessible!).

Funny anecdote, I had to place 10 quid in my account to be able to invite her but then she couldn't join. No information was provided by the system as to why... I said F-it and put 10 quid in her account as well and she was suddenly able to join...
Kind of false advertising to not mention you need to invest more money to play with selected people.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Anyway, lag isn't so bad. If you don't put the computers side-by-side, there's no difference. It's not the <10ms I used to have in my pro CS days but for a silly game like this - it's good enough. I imagine the router does some optimization for the p2p UDP datargrams. Although it definitely requires an uninterrupted internet connection. The smallest bump kicks us both out...
Oh well, at least I lived in the good old days for a while :)

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Nothing of the like
We were trying to set up Borderlands GOTY+ over lan but actually impossible to do without an internet connection, as invitation of players has to go over Steam Chat (at least from what I've been able to find out myself - the documentation out there isn't very accessible!).

Funny anecdote, I had to place 10 quid in my account to be able to invite her but then she couldn't join. No information was provided by the system as to why... I said F-it and put 10 quid in her account as well and she was suddenly able to join...
Kind of false advertising to not mention you need to invest more money to play with selected people.

Makes me think both Steam accounts were "level 0". Steam does that to prevent trolls creating accounts all over the place to spam. They want you to 'prove' you are serious by adding at least 5 euro / dollar to your account, then it will move to level 1 and you're able to invite other pople to your friendslist. Valve tries to stop spammers for just creating lots of accounts this way.

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS