Question Safe to Leave a Gaming Laptop Unused for a few Months?

Oct 4, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm sure this probably sounds like a silly question, but would it hurt a gaming laptop to leave it off for a few months (instead of giving it regular use)?

I bought my first one during the summer and absolutely love it, but put it away whenever the Switch gets a new exclusive I'm interested in playing, which currently happens to be Shin Megami Tensei V. I've probably been playing it for about a month at this point (ever since it released), and it'll probably take me at least another couple weeks to finish it up, so was wondering if it's okay to leave the laptop unused all this time (other than the fact I'll probably have to sit through half a dozen software updates, lol).

It'd be a good idea to charge and discharge the laptop's battery by putting the laptop through it's paces. Often times the first thing to conk out(provided you don't have thermal issues with your laptop) is the battery when it isn't being used. The same applies for a car where you're advised to disconnect the battery if you're not going to tend to it for a long while. If you are going to come across the car every week and take it out for a drive, then there's no need to disconnect the battery.

Make and model as well as the SKU for your laptop?

Reactions: Frindis
Oct 4, 2021
Visit site
It'd be a good idea to charge and discharge the laptop's battery by putting the laptop through it's paces. Often times the first thing to conk out(provided you don't have thermal issues with your laptop) is the battery when it isn't being used. The same applies for a car where you're advised to disconnect the battery if you're not going to tend to it for a long while. If you are going to come across the car every week and take it out for a drive, then there's no need to disconnect the battery.

Make and model as well as the SKU for your laptop?

An Asus Tuf Dash F15 I believe. If it matters it has an (quad core) 11th gen i7 CPU, (laptop) RTX 3070 GPU, 16GB Ram, & 1TB SSD.

So yeah, I should probably charge it up, mess around in something & update it sometime over the weekend then?

Reactions: Lutfij
None of that matters, all that matters when a laptop is going to go into storage is that the battery is either disconnected or that you turn the key on the laptop at least once a week. If possible twice a week. Yeah, try and have the laptop powered up until you can drain the battery, although it will go into sleep mode if there's no sign of input.

As for the charging procedure, always try and discharge to 10% and then plug in charger to get it to 100%, that way the battery stays healthy.

Hope that helps you out!
:)

Reactions: Brian Boru
I had mine disconnected for about 6 months(on the car, Toyota JZX100, Mark II). Replacement batteries for laptops that aren't genuine tend to bulge and almost explode when left unattended and recharged. As for genuine laptop batteries(that weren't internal), I've left a battery disconnected and unattended for about 3 months before I dropped it back in, then fully charged it on my little brother's HP ProBook 4430s.

Sorry went sideways at the begining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Hi its not a silly question and this is why , i used to fly radio controlled planes and people used to tell you not to keep topping up batteries because something called cell blindness happens. Lets say your battery has 4 cells , continually charging means your probably only charging the first 2 cells so cells 3 and 4 will deteriorate because they never get used. So in my case on the day you have a long flight you will crash because you wont know cell 3 and 4 are dead. Something called cell blindness will happen to all rechargeable batteries so the rule of thumb in only charge them up when you have to.

Your cmos battery will keep everything safe when not in use and when you decide to use the machine after a long break the only thing you will have to do is windows and anti virus updates