Question RX 6600 performing worse than a 1050ti! Bottleneck?

Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
I just upgraded to an RX 6600 and am getting lower to almost same fps as my old 1050ti in games such as valhalla, elden ring and halo infinite, some of them are even underperforming due to stutters making it unplayable. Is my i5 7500 really bottlenecking that much cause I did already know it was gonna bottleneck but not to such extent. Could it be something else?
PC specs: i5 7500, RX6600, ASUS z270A, VS450W PSU, 2HDD 1SSD

Seems really weird. I'm looking that card up with your chip and it's saying it should be solid at 60 fps with games like Odyssey on ultra settings. One post I read says the i5-7500 is not compatible with windows 7 and is not a supported chip. Maybe something with that???

Could always check on the AMD forums as well. Someone else may have had that problem and found a solution.

My first instinct is that those are pretty modern games and a locked clockspeed quad core I5 might be an issue. Elden Ring is the only one I have experience with directly and I did get stutters even using a Ryzen 5600X.

An easy way to tell would be to reduce the graphics settings as low as possible and see if it helps. If its not much better or the same its the CPU holding you back .

You also didnt mention how much RAM you have, 8GB is under the 12GB minimum for Elden Ring so that wouldnt help either.

If you make sure that all non essential programs that are using RAM are closed while you play might help a bit and wouldnt cost anything. Also did you fully uninstall the old Nvidia drivers using something like DDU?

I edited out some purchase advice, lets see if we can help without going nuclear first.

Last edited:
@Kaamos_Llama Isn't 450 a bit low for a rig meant for modern games?

Its a good point and worth ruling out, Usually if the PSU was going drawing over its limit I would expect it to shut down or cause a crash or freeze of some sort. However VS is Corsairs budget series which are just OK when new, and this one is several years old and likely out of warranty.

Problem is that the only way to test the theory is to buy a new PSU when it might not be the issue. Then again a new one would be required for any other potential upgrades in the future.

To show my working if it helps. It would be very low if it was for a new Intel/Nvidia rig. A few years ago a good 450w PSU would run a 980TI or Titan and a quad core Intel I5 or I7.

An I5 7500 doesnt use more than 110 watts under extreme stress testing so under 100 W at normal load, and the RX 6600 is very efficient at around 120/150 watts depending on the card. Spikes at 250/280 W, even then leaves breathing room if you were running Furmark and Prime 95 at the same time. HDD are around 10/15 at max rpm, SSD less than 10 and motherboards around 30-40.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
My first instinct is that those are pretty modern games and a locked clockspeed quad core I5 might be an issue. Elden Ring is the only one I have experience with directly and I did get stutters even using a Ryzen 5600X.

An easy way to tell would be to reduce the graphics settings as low as possible and see if it helps. If its not much better or the same its the CPU holding you back .

You also didnt mention how much RAM you have, 8GB is under the 12GB minimum for Elden Ring so that wouldnt help either.

If you make sure that all non essential programs that are using RAM are closed while you play might help a bit and wouldnt cost anything. Also did you fully uninstall the old Nvidia drivers using something like DDU?

I edited out some purchase advice, lets see if we can help without going nuclear first.
I kindda solved the issue...my ram wasn't in dual channel and now when switched am getting 10-20fps more but games are not smooth like they should be at 60fps, frame time is all over the place. Also my 2 ram sticks are from different brands (ADATA and Corsair ddr4 8gbx2) running at 2133MHz. Is there any way left other than a cpu upgrade to fix this. Have done DDU twice and drivers installed about 3 times now, lowering settings does have an impact in some games but not significant.

If lowering settings isnt having much of an effect, I'd assume a CPU bottleneck as I said earlier. Other things you could check:

Are your games installed on the SSD? Might help some stuttering.

If so is the SSD in good health? Enough room on it for your windows swap file?

Windows installation doing ok? I'm not much good with software stuff, but tried sfc scannow or repair to make sure its all ok.

Motherboard chipset drivers and other motherboard drivers from the Asus website up to date?

Not ideal to run mismatched RAM sticks but as youre only running them at standard it should bed causing problems.

If none of that helps I'm out of ideas, sorry to say.

TRENDING THREADS