Question Rtx 3080 install - no HDMI signal

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Hey all,

hoping someone can help me. I just got an MSI Trio RTX 3800 to replace my RTX 2700.

I have an Intel i7 9700, 512 GB hard drive, 2 TB SSD, 16 GB ram, ASROCK Z930 motherboard, and a ThermalTake 600w 80 plus gold power supply. I've recently bought an 850 watt power supply, but it's still on the way.

I know my power 600w supply is an issue... I got my 3800 today and installed just to make sure it worked. My power supply has two 8 pin power connectors, but they're daisy chained.

Even so, the PC and card appear to turn on just fine. RGB lights up and fans turn on. I am getting zero input signal through my HDMI cable. Just a blank screen. I've tried it on my gaming monitor and my 4k LG tv. No luck. I made sure it was seated correctly and everything. Reinstalled my 2070 and it works just fine.

Is the power supply the likely culprit? I don't want to buy a new supply just to find out the hard way that it's a bad card

Any input would be appreciated

I don't know if I can be much help, but it does seem to me that your PSU is a bit on the low side. Isn't the recommended PSU a 750w? I just got an EVGA RTX 3080 in November and connected it via display port to my monitor, PSU is 1000w (over kill) and 2 separate 8 pin connectors and it works fine. Do you have a display port connection to your monitor?

I assume that you've emailed or called MSI tech support? They could probably sort your issue out the quickest.

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Reaching out to them today. Thanks for the reply. Yes, the recommended PSU is 750w. I've got an 850w coming today. Im just concerned as I wouldn't expect the GPU fans and lights to work of the power supply was that under powered. I'll see if this new PSU changes anything