RTX 3070 vs RX 6800

Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
Hello, im choosing a gaming PC for 1080p gaming in the ~850EUR range. I prefer NVIDIA cards. I don't care about RT but DLSS is nice to have. PC #2 is a no brainer but storage wise, it's upsetting me. I mean I could buy more storage but that stretches over my budget. Let me know your thoughts.

PC #1 (NEW except the GPU) ~860EUR

CPU: R5 5600
MOBO: Gigabyte B550m Aorus elite v1
CPU cooler: stock
GPU: MSI GAMING X TRIO RTX 3070 or Gigabyte RTX 3070
RAM: 2x16gb ADATA DDR4 3200mhz
PSU: MSI A750GF
SSD: Silicon Power 2TB gen 3
Case: Deepcool CC360

PC #2 USED 820EUR

MOBO: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
CPU cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE
GPU: Sapphire PULSE AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2X16) 3600MHz
PSU: Corsair RM750X 80+ GOLD
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro Series 500GB M.2
Case: Deepcool MID TOWER CASE CK560 RGB

Last edited:
500gb big enough for windows, if you also put in a hdd. Sure, windows doesn't need 500gb but it gives you space for a game or two on nvme.

Apart from psu there isn't that much of a difference between both builds, Build 2 could have saved money on cooler and put larger nvme in instead, 5600 don't run that hot.

The 16gb on the 6800 does mean you less likely to run out of vram anytime soon, compared to 8gb on the 3070 which can already cause problems. Also get Amd Fluid Motion Frames to use in any DX11 & 12 game. Unlike Nvidia, AMD don't force you to buy latest cards to get the features.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
500gb big enough for windows, if you also put in a hdd. Sure, windows doesn't need 500gb but it gives you space for a game or two on nvme.

Apart from psu there isn't that much of a difference between both builds, Build 2 could have saved money on cooler and put larger nvme in instead, 5600 don't run that hot.

The 16gb on the 6800 does mean you less likely to run out of vram anytime soon, compared to 8gb on the 3070 which can already cause problems. Also get Amd Fluid Motion Frames to use in any DX11 & 12 game. Unlike Nvidia, AMD don't force you to buy latest cards to get the features.
I forgot to mention that I would like to start streaming. I know that NVIDIA has better encoders, so 3070 would be better for streaming. But I would like to know how AMD cards deal with streaming, I heard that their encoders aren't as good as Nvidias. Does that really affect streaming?

Hello, im choosing a gaming PC for 1080p gaming in the ~850EUR range. I prefer NVIDIA cards. I don't care about RT but DLSS is nice to have. PC #2 is a no brainer but storage wise, it's upsetting me. I mean I could buy more storage but that stretches over my budget. Let me know your thoughts.

PC #1 (NEW except the GPU) ~860EUR

MOBO: Gigabyte B550m Aorus elite v1
CPU cooler: stock
GPU: MSI GAMING X TRIO RTX 3070 or Gigabyte RTX 3070
RAM: 2x16gb ADATA DDR4 3200mhz
PSU: MSI A750GF
SSD: Silicon Power 2TB gen 3
Case: Deepcool CC360

PC #2 USED 820EUR

MOBO: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
CPU cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE
GPU: Sapphire PULSE AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2X16) 3600MHz
PSU: Corsair RM750X 80+ GOLD
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro Series 500GB M.2
Case: Deepcool MID TOWER CASE CK560 RGB
I assume that you don't have all the money you will ever make. There's nothing wrong with buying #2 and then saving up a little each month for an SSD. There are even pretty cheap external SSD's that are far superior to using an HDD.

Also, Nvidia has screwed up with their VRAM policy, but new AI powered tools like DLSS are saving the day. Whether it stays that way for long, gets better or gets worse, I couldn't say for sure, but I imagine that as long as Nvidia dominates the GPU market that games will support less VRAM. However, 8 GB is nothing by today's standards. If you are going to only keep that GPU for a couple of years, it's no problem, but if you were hoping to keep it longer, it might well be a problem.

Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
I assume that you don't have all the money you will ever make. There's nothing wrong with buying #2 and then saving up a little each month for an SSD. There are even pretty cheap external SSD's that are far superior to using an HDD.

Also, Nvidia has screwed up with their VRAM policy, but new AI powered tools like DLSS are saving the day. Whether it stays that way for long, gets better or gets worse, I couldn't say for sure, but I imagine that as long as Nvidia dominates the GPU market that games will support less VRAM. However, 8 GB is nothing by today's standards. If you are going to only keep that GPU for a couple of years, it's no problem, but if you were hoping to keep it longer, it might well be a problem.
I might even consider getting a 3080 for 400€, because I want to try and stick with nvidia. I know that the 5600 would bottleneck it, but i don't mind. I wouldn't notice those 5 or 10 fps that I loose. But I could upgrade later with a 1440p monitor.

I might even consider getting a 3080 for 400€, because I want to try and stick with nvidia. I know that the 5600 would bottleneck it, but i don't mind. I wouldn't notice those 5 or 10 fps that I loose. But I could upgrade later with a 1440p monitor.
It would definitely bottleneck in a lot of games at 1080p, but it probably wouldn't matter since you'd likely be at the maximum FPS your monitor can handle--just depending on the game. At 1440p there would probably still be some bottlenecking, especially in CPU intensive games, but I don't think it would be a big deal. You should still get very playable framerates. At 4k, I doubt there would be any bottlenecking in the vast majority of games.

Feb 8, 2024
Visit site
It would definitely bottleneck in a lot of games at 1080p, but it probably wouldn't matter since you'd likely be at the maximum FPS your monitor can handle--just depending on the game. At 1440p there would probably still be some bottlenecking, especially in CPU intensive games, but I don't think it would be a big deal. You should still get very playable framerates. At 4k, I doubt there would be any bottlenecking in the vast majority of games.
I can even get my hands on 5600x for the same price as 5600.

Reactions: ZedClampet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts