PCG Article RTS—City Builder—The Settlers reboot 2022-03-17

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
I've played maybe half of the previous releases of Settlers, although only the campaign modes and not the online competitive scene.

I remember the games (later versions at least) like Civ tried fairly hard to give multiple ways to win. So there was the normal military burn-every-building method, science research points method, or culture/merchant method.

For single play I do remember it had more of a focus on supply-chain rather than military. One of the interesting parts is starting with just a single town hall and a few villagers, and gradually building up into a large bustling collection of buildings with people carrying things to+fro.

So gameplay wise you tend to collect basic resources like wood, stone, metal, meat, grain, water etc.. But then after you feed your people and start growing a bit they might suddenly want furniture, medicine, better houses. And you also need to build arrows, swords, etc.. in order to train more soldiers faster. I also remember being able to convert gold into coins and use that to upgrade your troops to elite/veterans so that's a thing too.

In short there's a lot more resources / goods / products moving around than I remember from Civ/AoE and you want to keep that going well so you can make troops and fight effectively. And so correspondingly it's painful if you build a bunch of stuff and lose that territory! Which is why all your important buildings (or copies if you have multiple) need to be kept near your town hall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts