Retro build for Mechwarrior

Mar 10, 2024
Visit site
After another infuriating time waste trying to get Mechwarrior 4 to run on my 'new' I5 Win 10 machine, I have decided to build a retro box to run all the classic MW/MechCommander goodness on. It will also by extension be able to run a lot of other toys too, like my ancient plotters and printers.
I don't know enough about older hardware to find what I need, so thought I would stop by to ask what I should be looking for.
I built an extensive modded case once with danger den WC loops, still got some stuff somewhere...room for an OC :)
I would prefer to use a KVM switch to select between boxes, but could not find anything that would touch 144hz, may have to get gold of decent older keyboard separately.
I presume It will be an XP box either 32 or 64 bit, as Win 7 also hates MW.
Maybe someone would be kind enough to list some of decent parts, or point me in the right direction?

Reactions: Brian Boru
After another infuriating time waste trying to get Mechwarrior 4 to run on my 'new' I5 Win 10 machine, I have decided to build a retro box to run all the classic MW/MechCommander goodness on. It will also by extension be able to run a lot of other toys too, like my ancient plotters and printers.
I don't know enough about older hardware to find what I need, so thought I would stop by to ask what I should be looking for.
I built an extensive modded case once with danger den WC loops, still got some stuff somewhere...room for an OC :)
I would prefer to use a KVM switch to select between boxes, but could not find anything that would touch 144hz, may have to get gold of decent older keyboard separately.
I presume It will be an XP box either 32 or 64 bit, as Win 7 also hates MW.
Maybe someone would be kind enough to list some of decent parts, or point me in the right direction?
Try this forum. You're bound to find a poster or two that can be of help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts